El Al Changes Plans for Dreamliner Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
El Al is making some announcements and changes to its schedule — especially worth noting for those to fly on the newest aircraft in its fleet, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Since taking delivery of its first 787-9 in August 2017, the carrier now operates a total of four of the modern aircraft in its otherwise-aging widebody fleet. By 2020, the Israeli carrier plans to take delivery of 12 more of the Dreamliners with an ever-expanding route network on which the aircraft will operate. Currently, El Al’s Dreamliners operate between Tel Aviv (TLV) and Newark (EWR) and Hong Kong (HKG). However, the carrier is making some changes to its already-planned routes, as reported by Airlineroute.
As of October 28, 2018, one of the carrier’s 787s will operate on its Tel Aviv (TLV) to Los Angeles (LAX) route with 3x weekly service. Currently, El Al operates one of its Boeing 777-200ER aircraft on the route. In addition, as of October 29, 2018, one of its Dreamliners will also operate the 3x weekly route between TLV and Miami (MIA). Like its LAX counterpart, the Dreamliner on the TLV-MIA route will replace a 777-200ER.
While the carrier currently operates Dreamliners on its TLV-EWR route, it will be reducing existing frequencies. As of October 28, 2018, El All will drop four of its weekly services on the route — from 10x weekly service to 6x weekly service. Even though it’s reducing the frequencies, El Al will continue to operate those 6x weekly frequencies with 787s.
Finally, El Al will postpone the launch of its first route connecting TLV and San Francisco (SFO). The carrier first announced in January that it would launch service between the two cities — set with an inaugural date of November 19, 2018. However, that launch with 3x weekly service has been postponed, with rescheduled launch date yet to be announced.
El Al’s Dreamliner is worlds apart from any other aircraft the carrier has in its fleet — especially in the premium cabin. In the business-class cabin, you can expect to find all-aisle access in a 1-2-1 configuration, lie-flat seats and tasty meal options. You can check out a full review of the El Al Dreamliner experience in business class here.
The premium economy cabin features 28 seats arranged in a 2-3-2 configuration. Each has 38 inches of pitch and is 19 inches wide. The premium economy offering is the first of its kind for El Al.
Finally, the economy cabin is comprised of 222 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration. Each seat features 31 inches of pitch and is 17 inches wide, which is about on par with other Dreamliner economy products with other carriers.
Eventually, with more Dreamliner deliveries, El Al will phase out its older 777 and 747 aircraft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.