Celebrating 8 Years of The Points Guy With 8 Giveaways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thursday, June 7, 2018, marks eight years of The Points Guy. Eight years ago today, I published my first blog post ever with no clue that the site would be where it is today.
At the time when TPG first launched, I was working full-time in human resources at Morgan Stanley. By day, I was sitting in a cubicle, but by the time I left the office, I was charging clients $50 for consulting — to help them use their points and miles to book epic getaways. The original TPG existed to help people book award tickets. Since then, the brand has evolved into what it is today — giving people the information needed to travel the world for free. Never did I imagine that when I left my cubicle for the last time in 2011 that we would be here in 2018, looking at the success that TPG has had in the past eight years.
Even in the past year alone, TPG has grown to pass the six million monthly unique visitors mark — a huge accomplishment. We’ve gotten so busy that even The Points Pups are getting an intern. In August 2017, we launched our private Facebook group, the TPG Lounge, which now has more than 33,000 members. (If you’re not one yet, you can join here.) I’ve made appearances on the Today Show, in The New Yorker and The New York Times and many more. (And I’ll be on LIVE with Kelly and Ryan this morning around 9:30am ET!) Plus, our charity efforts have grown significantly in the past year. Most recently, we — including TPG readers — donated more than $200,000 to Rainbow Railroad, an amazing organization doing incredible work in the LGBTQ community.
In the past eight years, we’ve:
- Seen more than 306 million visits and 497 million pageviews from more than 125 million unique visitors since the site’s inception.
- Built our team from one employee to 26 full-time TPG staffers and four summer interns — and we’re hiring more
- Published 17,595 posts as of Thursday
- Grew our Facebook page following to more than 1.8 million likes
The growing isn’t going to stop there: We’re looking to continue that trend even more. This year, we’re launching a new app that will completely revolutionize the points and miles — and travel — game. We’re also looking at the idea of expansion across the Atlantic with TPG UK. And, we’re going to continue expanding what we cover with our editorial team — from travel deals to points and miles information, credit card breakdowns and so much more.
And to celebrate eight years of TPG, we’re giving away eight $500 flights on Twitter starting Thursday morning. To win, you’ll need to watch out on our Twitter feed for our giveaway announcement. When you see it, retweet the graphic with your best points and miles redemption with the tag #HBDTPG. We’ll choose the eight winners by 11:59pm ET Thursday.
I want to sincerely thank you, our readers, for supporting me for the past eight years. I know I won’t always get it right, but I do promise that I’ll always listen. So please, send your feedback to info@ . Also be sure to follow us on social media — Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. And, if you have any tips in the points and miles world, email tips@ . Here’s to eight (and many more) years!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.