Celebrating 8 Years of The Points Guy With 8 Giveaways
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thursday, June 7, 2018, marks eight years of The Points Guy. Eight years ago today, I published my first blog post ever with no clue that the site would be where it is today.
At the time when TPG first launched, I was working full-time in human resources at Morgan Stanley. By day, I was sitting in a cubicle, but by the time I left the office, I was charging clients $50 for consulting — to help them use their points and miles to book epic getaways. The original TPG existed to help people book award tickets. Since then, the brand has evolved into what it is today — giving people the information needed to travel the world for free. Never did I imagine that when I left my cubicle for the last time in 2011 that we would be here in 2018, looking at the success that TPG has had in the past eight years.
Even in the past year alone, TPG has grown to pass the six million monthly unique visitors mark — a huge accomplishment. We’ve gotten so busy that even The Points Pups are getting an intern. In August 2017, we launched our private Facebook group, the TPG Lounge, which now has more than 33,000 members. (If you’re not one yet, you can join here.) I’ve made appearances on the Today Show, in The New Yorker and The New York Times and many more. (And I’ll be on LIVE with Kelly and Ryan this morning around 9:30am ET!) Plus, our charity efforts have grown significantly in the past year. Most recently, we — including TPG readers — donated more than $200,000 to Rainbow Railroad, an amazing organization doing incredible work in the LGBTQ community.
In the past eight years, we’ve:
- Seen more than 306 million visits and 497 million pageviews from more than 125 million unique visitors since the site’s inception.
- Built our team from one employee to 26 full-time TPG staffers and four summer interns — and we’re hiring more
- Published 17,595 posts as of Thursday
- Grew our Facebook page following to more than 1.8 million likes
The growing isn’t going to stop there: We’re looking to continue that trend even more. This year, we’re launching a new app that will completely revolutionize the points and miles — and travel — game. We’re also looking at the idea of expansion across the Atlantic with TPG UK. And, we’re going to continue expanding what we cover with our editorial team — from travel deals to points and miles information, credit card breakdowns and so much more.
And to celebrate eight years of TPG, we’re giving away eight $500 flights on Twitter starting Thursday morning. To win, you’ll need to watch out on our Twitter feed for our giveaway announcement. When you see it, retweet the graphic with your best points and miles redemption with the tag #HBDTPG. We’ll choose the eight winners by 11:59pm ET Thursday.
I want to sincerely thank you, our readers, for supporting me for the past eight years. I know I won’t always get it right, but I do promise that I’ll always listen. So please, send your feedback to info@ . Also be sure to follow us on social media — Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. And, if you have any tips in the points and miles world, email tips@ . Here’s to eight (and many more) years!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees