Amazon Echo Auto Solves the ‘Are We There Yet?’ Road Trip Problem
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As Amazon forges ahead in its march to put a microphone in everything and connect it with Alexa, the company has unveiled a new gizmo designed to add a connected element to practically any vehicle. While Echo Auto is set to retail for $50, it’s being offered at 50% off for a limited time. The natural question, of course, is what value does it bring to your vehicle’s cabin?
If you’re familiar with Alexa, you’re aware that it can do some pretty spiffy things when synced with a connected home. By merely uttering phrases such as “Alexa, please open my garage door,” or, “Alexa, adjust the thermostat to 75 degrees,” the service can talk to other connected devices to make magic happen. Echo Auto, however, opens up an entirely new set of possibilities for road-tripping families.
If you have a smartphone and a vehicle with a cigarette adapter, you’re golden. Just plug the device in, pair with your smartphone and start yapping. The most obvious use here is to let your children play DJ. By asking Alexa to queue up playlists, songs or artists, many miles of open road can zoom by as your little ones take turns asking for the next track.
But it also adds a layer of practicality. Prior to passengers becoming hangry, you can ask Alexa for the best restaurant nearby, specifying whatever type of cuisine you like. Considering that you’re likely passing through unfamiliar territory, Alexa’s ability to tap into reviews and recommendations is a real boon. And, once you hear a name you like, it can trigger navigation as well.
The real fun, however, is in the education and reference department. While kids of yesteryear relied on “I, Spy” and counting cars, colors and license plates, the Echo Auto can turn an otherwise-tedious multi-hour trip to grandma’s house into a makeshift discovery session. Translated, one of the many educational skills available through Alexa allows a passenger to ask for a phrase to be spoken back in a new language. The Curiosity skill allows passengers to learn about a random topic — sort of like spinning the Wikipedia wheel. Alexa will ask you which of two topics interests you more, and after you respond, you’ll get a summary of that topic. Rinse, repeat and the ride is basically over. There’s also a host of games, including Jeopardy, Deal or No Deal and Categories.
It’s unlikely that Amazon built the Echo Auto to create an engaging way for families to connect, interact, laugh and learn while road tripping, but that’s exactly how it turned out. Plus, because it’s portable, you can bring it along for road trips that you fly to. Just make sure to remove it from the rental car before flying back home.
Featured image courtesy of Amazon.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees