This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Savvy rewards travelers don’t just pick the credit card with the best bonus category for each purchase they make, they also check shopping portals to see if they can double- or even triple-dip their points earnings.
Ebates has long been a popular cash back shopping portal, and one of the easier ones to use thanks to a browser add-on that will automatically alert you if a site you’re browsing offers extra cash back. Earlier this year, Ebates added the option to cash out your rewards in the form of Amex Membership Rewards points instead of straight cash back. Ebates gives you 1 Membership Rewards point per cent you earn, and those points are worth twice as much as cash back based on TPG’s valuations. This means even if Ebates isn’t offering the highest “cash-back rate” of the various shopping portals, it’s often going to give you the highest total return.
In addition to its browser plug-in and website, Ebates has an app that can be used to activate cash-back offers. If you log in to the app, you can earn 1% back or 1x Membership Rewards points on purchases made at Grubhub. Note that this offer is not available online.
While an extra 1-2% back isn’t that exciting on its own, this deal becomes much better if you stack it with the American Express® Gold Card. The Gold Card underwent a massive redesign last year, and now offers 4x Membership Rewards points on purchases at US restaurants (including Grubhub) and US supermarkets (up to $25,000 a year; then 1x). It also offers a $120 annual dining credit, which breaks down to $10 a month at Grubhub or any of the following merchants: Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations.
You can see that Ebates is also offering a $10 off coupon for first-time Grubhub customers, which will be a better deal in most cases. Note that you should earn the Ebates 1%/1x back on your entire purchase, while you’ll only earn the 4x Membership Rewards points with Amex on charges in excess of your $10 monthly statement credit.
One of the most important ways to offset the Amex Gold’s $250 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) is by taking advantage of the $120 annual dining credit. If you order in from Grubhub (or Seamless) even once a month you shouldn’t have any trouble maximizing this, and Ebates makes it easy to get an even higher return on Grubhub purchases.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees