Earn 1% or 1x Amex Points On Grubhub Purchases With Ebates (Stack With Amex Gold Credit)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Savvy rewards travelers don’t just pick the credit card with the best bonus category for each purchase they make, they also check shopping portals to see if they can double- or even triple-dip their points earnings.
Ebates has long been a popular cash back shopping portal, and one of the easier ones to use thanks to a browser add-on that will automatically alert you if a site you’re browsing offers extra cash back. Earlier this year, Ebates added the option to cash out your rewards in the form of Amex Membership Rewards points instead of straight cash back. Ebates gives you 1 Membership Rewards point per cent you earn, and those points are worth twice as much as cash back based on TPG’s valuations. This means even if Ebates isn’t offering the highest “cash-back rate” of the various shopping portals, it’s often going to give you the highest total return.
In addition to its browser plug-in and website, Ebates has an app that can be used to activate cash-back offers. If you log in to the app, you can earn 1% back or 1x Membership Rewards points on purchases made at Grubhub. Note that this offer is not available online.
While an extra 1-2% back isn’t that exciting on its own, this deal becomes much better if you stack it with the American Express® Gold Card. The Gold Card underwent a massive redesign last year, and now offers 4x Membership Rewards points on purchases on dining at restaurants, (including Grubhub) and U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year; then 1x). It also offers a $120 annual dining credit, which breaks down to $10 a month at Grubhub or any of the following merchants: Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required for select benefits.
You can see that Ebates is also offering a $10 off coupon for first-time Grubhub customers, which will be a better deal in most cases. Note that you should earn the Ebates 1%/1x back on your entire purchase, while you’ll only earn the 4x Membership Rewards points with Amex on charges in excess of your $10 monthly statement credit.
One of the most important ways to offset the Amex Gold’s $250 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) is by taking advantage of the $120 annual dining credit. If you order in from Grubhub (or Seamless) even once a month you shouldn’t have any trouble maximizing this, and Ebates makes it easy to get an even higher return on Grubhub purchases.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees