This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum. Just months after IHG opened its newest budget-minded brand Avid in Oklahoma City, it’s enabling members to earn and redeem IHG Rewards Club points at one of the most exclusive property chains in the world. Following the acquisition of a majority stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts in March 2018, IHG is now ready to formally fold the Regent portfolio into the IHG collection.
Beginning Feb. 1, 2019, you’ll be able to earn IHG points while staying at Regent properties, and you’ll also be able to exchange IHG points for free nights there. As of now, just six ultra-luxe Regent properties exist:
- Regent Taipei
- Regent Berlin
- Regent Porto Montenegro
- Regent Beijing
- Regent Chongqing
- Regent Singapore
That said, Regent’s reach will soon expand with the opening of Regent Phu Quoc in 2019 and Regent Jakarta in 2020. IHG has already stated that it hopes to grow the Regent brand from six hotels to 40 in due time, with Regent Kuala Lumpur already in the works alongside a plan to rebrand the InterContinental Hong Kong, which is set to become a Regent hotel in 2021. The rebrand will see the hotel return to its roots, having first opened its doors as a Regent in 1980.
There’s no word yet on where Regent properties will sit along the IHG reward spectrum. It’ll no doubt be at the high-end, but only time will tell if IHG carves out a new tier for these high-end properties. We’re also in wait-and-see mode in terms of the chain’s Ambassador program. Currently, that program applies to its InterContinental portfolio, but it’s not a reach to think Regent’s clientele would appreciate similar perks.
All images courtesy of Regent.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees