Earn free car rentals with Thrifty’s bonus points promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Renting a car for the holidays? If so, that reservation could potentially score you a free rental day to use at a future time. According to Frequent Miler, Thrifty Car Rentals is offering a promotion for their Blue Chip Rewards members. For every qualifying rental between now and the end of the year, you’ll receive 625 Blue Chip Reward points — enough for a free rental. What’s really enticing about the offer is that even one-day rentals and all car classes qualify.
Related: Ways to Save on Car Rentals
With this promotion, you can actually earn the bonus points up to five times through Dec. 31, 2019. Your bonus points will post to your account within 6-8 weeks, and 625 Blue Chip Reward points will earn you a free 1-day weekday rental. Or if you’re looking for a weekend rental, you can actually use fewer points (only 500 points required). Alternatively, if you’re able to maximize this promotion and earn a total of 3,125 points, that can earn you a free weekly rental with points left over.
Of course, this promotion works out best for those who were already going to rent a car, but it might even be worthy for a “car rental run.” I was able to find rates as low as $35 at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport (DFW) for a 1-day rental. If you made five separate rentals at that price, it would cost you a total of $175 and you’d earn more than enough points for a free weekly rental, with enough points remaining for a free 1-day weekend rental. Depending on where you’re looking to use your earned points, that could be a great way to pay only $175 for a rental car for the week, especially during peak times and in expensive destinations.
This is definitely a promotion worth looking into, especially for those who are looking to rent a car. This is essentially giving you a buy one, get one at a minimum, with potentially even more. Keep in mind that Blue Chip points expire if there isn’t a rental within a 24-month period, so make sure you don’t sit on your points too long and lose them.
To double dip your savings, book your Thrifty rental with a credit card that earns bonus points on rental cars, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® (3x points on travel), Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (2x points on travel), the Citi Premier® Card (3x points on travel) or the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (2x miles on rental cars). The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of @Gouldjosh via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.