Earn free car rentals with Thrifty’s bonus points promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Renting a car for the holidays? If so, that reservation could potentially score you a free rental day to use at a future time. According to Frequent Miler, Thrifty Car Rentals is offering a promotion for their Blue Chip Rewards members. For every qualifying rental between now and the end of the year, you’ll receive 625 Blue Chip Reward points — enough for a free rental. What’s really enticing about the offer is that even one-day rentals and all car classes qualify.
Related: Ways to Save on Car Rentals
With this promotion, you can actually earn the bonus points up to five times through Dec. 31, 2019. Your bonus points will post to your account within 6-8 weeks, and 625 Blue Chip Reward points will earn you a free 1-day weekday rental. Or if you’re looking for a weekend rental, you can actually use fewer points (only 500 points required). Alternatively, if you’re able to maximize this promotion and earn a total of 3,125 points, that can earn you a free weekly rental with points left over.
Of course, this promotion works out best for those who were already going to rent a car, but it might even be worthy for a “car rental run.” I was able to find rates as low as $35 at Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport (DFW) for a 1-day rental. If you made five separate rentals at that price, it would cost you a total of $175 and you’d earn more than enough points for a free weekly rental, with enough points remaining for a free 1-day weekend rental. Depending on where you’re looking to use your earned points, that could be a great way to pay only $175 for a rental car for the week, especially during peak times and in expensive destinations.
This is definitely a promotion worth looking into, especially for those who are looking to rent a car. This is essentially giving you a buy one, get one at a minimum, with potentially even more. Keep in mind that Blue Chip points expire if there isn’t a rental within a 24-month period, so make sure you don’t sit on your points too long and lose them.
To double dip your savings, book your Thrifty rental with a credit card that earns bonus points on rental cars, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve® (3x points on travel), Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (2x points on travel), the Citi Premier® Card (3x points on travel) or the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (2x miles on rental cars). The information for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of @Gouldjosh via Twenty20.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees