How Chase Freedom Flex cardholders can earn up to 9% cash back this quarter
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you carry the Chase Freedom Flex in your wallet, then you’re no stranger to rotating bonus categories. This quarter in particular, you’ll earn 5% back on Walmart and PayPal purchases, on up to $1,500 spent in combined purchases.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
But the deal gets even sweeter with an exclusive offer to earn 5% cash back on your top spend category on up to $1,500 spent this quarter, too. Until December 31, 2021, that’s an additional 4% cash back (on top of the 1% cash back you would typically earn on non-bonus purchases) on the following categories:
- Travel, including transit
- Home improvement stores
- Grocery stores, not including Target or Walmart
- Gas stations
- Live entertainment
- Select streaming services
- Fitness clubs
As a reminder, the Chase Freedom Flex earns 5% on rotating quarterly categories on up to the first $1,500 spent and on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining and drugstores and 1% on all other eligible purchases.
Depending on your top spend category in Q4, you could be looking at 5% cash back on categories like home improvement stores, gas stations or fitness clubs that usually don’t get bonus points any other time of the year.
But if you’re strategic, you could stack the existing 5% earning rate on travel booked through Ultimate Rewards and PayPal purchases this quarter, for a total of 9% cash back on the first $1,500 spent. Although PayPal isn’t listed above, remember that PayPal is a common payment method that can be used to pay for your top spend category on top of each other.
Alternatively, leverage the existing 3% earning rate on dining and drugstores, for a total of 7% cash back on the first $1,500 spent in purchases this quarter.
How to enroll
You’ll automatically be enrolled in the top spend category promotion when you activate this quarter’s rotating categories on your Chase account.
No matter how you slice and dice this promotion, it’s a fantastic deal all around. You could be earning 5% cash back on categories that generally don’t get love with the Freedom Flex or stack the existing rewards rates to get up to 9% cash back this quarter. Click here for the full FAQs — and get spending!
Official application link: Chase Freedom Flex with a $200 cash back sign-up bonus after spending $500 or more on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Featured photo by John Gribben for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees