Earn 5,000 Bonus American Airlines Miles By Completing Five Tasks
To The Point
Earn up to 5,000 bonus American Airlines AAdvantage miles by completing five tasks ranging from flying American Airlines to making a purchase via their AAdvantage Shopping site by September 30th. You must register for the promotion to be eligible, so here is what you need to know…
American Airlines recently gave their AAdvantage site an updated look, and in the process launched a promotion that will award up to 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles to members who complete five activities through September 30, 2018. For long time readers, know that this is sadly no US Airways Grand Slam, but it can still be an easy way to pick up anywhere from 50 to 5,000 bonus American Airlines miles by doing things such as flying American, earning miles with the AAdvantage Dining program, or renting a car.
To register for the promotion, log into your American AAdvantage account and click on promotions section as highlighted below.
From there, you should be able to click on the AAdvantage 5K Challenge promotion details and click the register button.
How to earn up to 5,000 bonus AAdvantage bonus miles
You can earn up to 5,000 AAdvantage bonus miles when you register for the promotion and then complete these qualifying activities in any order through September 30, 2018:
- Make any purchase with AAdvantage eShopping
- Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage Dining
- Book and stay at a hotel at bookaahotels.com
- Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars
- Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight
You earn bonus miles based on the number of these activities you complete at the following rates:
- 1 activity = 50 bonus miles
- 2 activities = 250 bonus miles
- 3 activities = 1,000 bonus miles
- 4 activities = 2,500 bonus miles
- 5 activities = 5,000 bonus miles
Before going in on this promotion, make sure to register from within your AAdvantage account since activity that occurs before you register won’t count towards the promotion. Each type of activity can only count once, so dining at participating AAdvantage Dining restaurants five times will still only count as one activity. Per the terms, only US residents are eligible for the AAdvantage eShopping and AAdvantage Dining activities.
I’d value 5,000 bonus AAdvantage miles at around $75, so it is worth registering for the promotion and doing the tasks that come easily to you, but it is probably not worth going crazy just to earn a higher bonus. If you wanted to do this promotion and some of the relevant tasks from your kids’ accounts, they should be able to pick up some bonus miles, too.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, the 50,000 miles are worth $700. In addition, you can earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) toward elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year. As of July 23, 2017 this is the only card that offers Admirals Club lounge access so if you are an AA flyer this card might make sense for you. Aside from lounge access the primary cardholder will receive a Global Entry application fee credit every 5 years, first checked bag free for up to 8 travel companions on domestic itineraries and a 25% discount on eligible in-flight purchases on American Airlines flights.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Admirals Club® membership for you and access for up to two guests or immediate family members traveling with you
- Earn 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after you spend $40,000 in purchases within the year
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to 8 companions traveling with you on the same reservation
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 15.99% - 24.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.