Earn 5,000 Bonus American Airlines Miles With New Gamified Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
American Airlines launched a new tiered bonus offer, letting AAdvantage members earn up to 5,000 bonus miles for completing tasks. While 5,000 miles isn’t going to get you a free flight, it’s worth registering for this promotion to at least earn miles for tasks you’d otherwise do.
Here’s how the promotion works: Now through September 30, register to earn up to 5,000 bonus points for completing the following tasks:
- Fly on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight (1 eligible flight segment must be flown during the offer period, tickets may be booked through any source)
- Make any purchase with AAdvantage eShopping (must transact and earn miles at participating AAdvantage eShopping merchants during the offer period)
- Dine-in or carry out with AAdvantage Dining (must dine and earn miles with participating restaurants during the offer period)
- Rent and drive a car at aa.com/cars (must pick-up and drop off rental during offer period)
- Book and stay at a hotel through bookaahotels.com (must book and complete stay during the offer period)
You’ll get a measly 50 bonus miles for the first task, but the bonuses go up from there:
|Number of partners||Bonus miles awarded||Total miles|
The first step to take AAdvantage of this promotion is to register. To do so, log into your AAdvantage account and then browse to the Promotions tab. Open the “AAdvantage 5K Challenge for 5K Miles” promotion and scroll to the bottom to register.
I couldn’t help but notice that this promotion was much less generous than AA’s 2017 holiday promotion, which also awarded bonus points for completing tasks with partners. You could earn up to 50,000 bonus miles by completing all 10 tasks, but even the lesser bonuses were more valuable (i.e. you’d earn 9,000 bonus miles for completing any five of the 10 tasks).
That said, this is the offer we have now. And, it’s still worth utilizing — especially for tasks that you’d otherwise do, like flying AA, shopping online, eating out or renting a car.
Want a lot more than 5,000 miles? For a limited time, the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is offering 60,000 bonus miles for spending $3,000 in the first three months after opening. Plus, you’ll get preferred boarding, free checked bags on domestic flights, access to Reduced Mileage Awards and it’s a great way to defeat basic economy.
H/T: Mommy Points
Welcome to The Points Guy!