Dublin Airport Saw Just 2 Flights on Christmas Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holiday season is one of the busiest times of the year to travel. In the days leading up to and following the Christmas holiday, millions of travelers will pass through the departure halls of the world’s airports. Many major airports will see well over 100,000 passengers in a single day. While the days leading up to and following Christmas might be busy, airlines often reduce the number of flights on Christmas Day as travelers enjoy the holiday with loved ones. While many airports will see fewer travelers on Dec. 25, one airport, in particular, has a long-standing tradition of essentially closing its doors. According to Dublin Airport’s official website, Ireland’s busiest airport is open 24/7 364 days a year. On Christmas Day, Dublin Airport closes its doors.
Christmas Day 2018 continued this long-standing tradition. While the airport didn’t go without any flights, Flight Radar 24 and Dublin Airport’s website confirm not a single passenger flight departed from or arrived at Dublin Airport (DUB). Both scheduled flights are cargo flights. Once again, the airport remained closed to passengers.
The airport will resume normal operations on Wednesday, Dec. 26 with the first passenger flight departing for Amsterdam (AMS) as Aer Lingus flight EI602 at 6:15am local time. The first arriving passenger flight is Aer Lingus flight EI104 from New York (JFK) arriving at 4:55am.
While the airport notes that it is closed to passengers, and most employees don’t have to come into work on Christmas Day, the airport also notes that some essential employees remain on-duty. First responders such as firefighters and paramedics work every Christmas in the unlikely event that their services are needed.
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.