Dublin Airport Saw Just 2 Flights on Christmas Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The holiday season is one of the busiest times of the year to travel. In the days leading up to and following the Christmas holiday, millions of travelers will pass through the departure halls of the world’s airports. Many major airports will see well over 100,000 passengers in a single day. While the days leading up to and following Christmas might be busy, airlines often reduce the number of flights on Christmas Day as travelers enjoy the holiday with loved ones. While many airports will see fewer travelers on Dec. 25, one airport, in particular, has a long-standing tradition of essentially closing its doors. According to Dublin Airport’s official website, Ireland’s busiest airport is open 24/7 364 days a year. On Christmas Day, Dublin Airport closes its doors.
Christmas Day 2018 continued this long-standing tradition. While the airport didn’t go without any flights, Flight Radar 24 and Dublin Airport’s website confirm not a single passenger flight departed from or arrived at Dublin Airport (DUB). Both scheduled flights are cargo flights. Once again, the airport remained closed to passengers.
The airport will resume normal operations on Wednesday, Dec. 26 with the first passenger flight departing for Amsterdam (AMS) as Aer Lingus flight EI602 at 6:15am local time. The first arriving passenger flight is Aer Lingus flight EI104 from New York (JFK) arriving at 4:55am.
While the airport notes that it is closed to passengers, and most employees don’t have to come into work on Christmas Day, the airport also notes that some essential employees remain on-duty. First responders such as firefighters and paramedics work every Christmas in the unlikely event that their services are needed.
Featured image by Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees