Travelers May Have Been Exposed to Measles at Detroit Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials confirmed two cases of measles in travelers who passed through Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), and who may have exposed other flyers to the highly contagious disease.
Health department officials for Detroit’s Oakland County said Tuesday that two residents of the northwestern suburb were diagnosed with measles after they passed through DTW at 5pm on Oct. 23. Authorities are advising passengers who were also in the airport that day to monitor themselves for symptoms for up to 21 days after the exposure. If symptoms are detected, travelers should contact their doctors.
Symptoms of measles include high fever and a red rash over the face, arms and abdomen. Other symptoms are a cough, runny nose, red, watery eyes and tiny white spots on the inner cheeks, gums and roof of the mouth.
Measles is passed from person to person through the air when an infected person sneezes or coughs. People who are not vaccinated for measles and are exposed to the virus have a 90% chance of contracting the illness, health officials told the Detroit News. Experts say the virus can only survive for two hours in the air or on surfaces, but can live for up to a three-week incubation period in the human body. Airport officials did not say what airline or terminal the infected travelers passed through.
Earlier this fall, travelers were similarly exposed to measles at New Jersey’s Newark Airport (EWR) and four different Southwest flights throughout the state of Texas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees