Drunk Co-Pilot Causes Delta Flight Cancellation at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
A Delta flight was canceled from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) on Sunday after the plane’s co-pilot was found to be too drunk to operate the plane.
Before the cancellation, Delta flight 47 was set to fly to New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) at 9:15am. However, the 51-year-old co-pilot was detained after his blood alcohol level was proven to be three times over the legal limit when he took a breathalyzer test. He was then issued a fine for 3,400 euros ($3,855 USD).
“Because the aircraft was not allowed to leave without the co-pilot, the flight was canceled,” Dutch police told NL Times in a statement issued at 11:30am that Sunday. Dutch police also confirmed that airline staff is not permitted to consume alcohol within 10 hours of a flight.
Originally, Delta cited that the flight was canceled due to “mechanical issues.” However, they later confirmed to NL Times that the flight was actually canceled due to a “crew duty issue,” but didn’t provide any further information.
The airline told TPG in a statement on the matter that it put passengers on another flight out of AMS. “Customers on Delta flight 47 were reaccommodated on an alternate flight with Delta’s apologies for the inconvenience,” the statement said.
Featured image by VLIET via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees