Drunk Co-Pilot Causes Delta Flight Cancellation at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight was canceled from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) on Sunday after the plane’s co-pilot was found to be too drunk to operate the plane.
Before the cancellation, Delta flight 47 was set to fly to New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) at 9:15am. However, the 51-year-old co-pilot was detained after his blood alcohol level was proven to be three times over the legal limit when he took a breathalyzer test. He was then issued a fine for 3,400 euros ($3,855 USD).
“Because the aircraft was not allowed to leave without the co-pilot, the flight was canceled,” Dutch police told NL Times in a statement issued at 11:30am that Sunday. Dutch police also confirmed that airline staff is not permitted to consume alcohol within 10 hours of a flight.
Originally, Delta cited that the flight was canceled due to “mechanical issues.” However, they later confirmed to NL Times that the flight was actually canceled due to a “crew duty issue,” but didn’t provide any further information.
The airline told TPG in a statement on the matter that it put passengers on another flight out of AMS. “Customers on Delta flight 47 were reaccommodated on an alternate flight with Delta’s apologies for the inconvenience,” the statement said.
Featured image by VLIET via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.