Alleged drone sighting temporarily halts flights at Madrid airport
Spain’s Madrid International Airport shut down air traffic operations for more than an hour Monday after two pilots reported spotting remote-controlled drones within nearby airspace.
Sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter.
Spanish air navigation authority Enaire implemented a special procedure to halt landings and takeoffs, diverting a total of 26 flights to other airports, according to the Associated Press.
“A drone is not a toy; it’s an aircraft,” Enaire sternly warned the public via Twitter. The government entity also posted additional warnings and information regarding air traffic safety violations in later tweets.
Spanish authorities have launched an investigation into the incident, which impacted Spain’s busiest airport. Madrid’s airport is one of Europe’s highest-traffic airports, averaging 1,200 flights each day and more than 60 million travelers per year.
While many AvGeeks love snapping images of their favorite aircraft, drone photography can be extremely disruptive for air traffic. In 2018, hundreds of travelers were impacted over the Christmas holiday season when dozens of alleged drone sightings disrupted London airspace over three consecutive days. The incidents led to London implementing anti-drone technology to protect against future potential disruptions.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.