This Family in Norway Is Looking for Someone to Work on Their Reindeer Farm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a fan of cold weather, reindeer and great adventures, we may have found the perfect job for you.
A Sámi reindeer herding family is looking for someone to help with childcare for five days a week during the busy season. In the Tromsø, Norway and another property in a small village in northern Sweden. If hired, you would travel between the homes with the rest of the family., Marianna — the mother of the household, she says — works full-time as a dentist in Norway while her husband, Nils, takes care of the reindeer. The couple also has two daughters (and two herding dogs — yay!), a home outside of
But this gig is about more than childcare. The family recently began a tourism business centered around their reindeer, and said the hired help would be able to get involved with the new business as well. As for the actual reindeer work, you would be expected to help with some of the farm chores, such as caring for the animals, food preservation and general maintenance.
During the summer, the family stays in traditional Sámi tents, called lavvo. During the winter months, they bed down in primitive (read: no electric or water) herder cabins on the mountains. The person hired for this job will also have a bedroom in the Norwegian home and accommodations in the living room in the Swedish home.
If you’re interested in modern Sámi reindeer herding, this is a fantastic opportunity to get a firsthand look at the business and tradition. For the uninitiated, the Sámi people have been herding wild reindeer in Sweden, Norway and Finland for thousands of years, with each Sámi family tracking and caring for the same herd year after year. In fact, according to the, only the Sámi people are allowed to herd the animals as part of their livelihoods.
The Swedish village the family lives in only speaks Sámi, providing a very rare experience for someone with an interest in languages. On top of that, it’s located near a husky farm that offers dogsledding.
If this sounds like the job for you, you’ll find more information on the job and the family you would be living and working with at the
Feature image by Norman Tsui via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.