This Family in Norway Is Looking for Someone to Work on Their Reindeer Farm
If you’re a fan of cold weather, reindeer and great adventures, we may have found the perfect job for you.
A Sámi reindeer herding family is looking for someone to help with childcare for five days a week during the busy season. In the Tromsø, Norway and another property in a small village in northern Sweden. If hired, you would travel between the homes with the rest of the family., Marianna — the mother of the household, she says — works full-time as a dentist in Norway while her husband, Nils, takes care of the reindeer. The couple also has two daughters (and two herding dogs — yay!), a home outside of
But this gig is about more than childcare. The family recently began a tourism business centered around their reindeer, and said the hired help would be able to get involved with the new business as well. As for the actual reindeer work, you would be expected to help with some of the farm chores, such as caring for the animals, food preservation and general maintenance.
During the summer, the family stays in traditional Sámi tents, called lavvo. During the winter months, they bed down in primitive (read: no electric or water) herder cabins on the mountains. The person hired for this job will also have a bedroom in the Norwegian home and accommodations in the living room in the Swedish home.
If you’re interested in modern Sámi reindeer herding, this is a fantastic opportunity to get a firsthand look at the business and tradition. For the uninitiated, the Sámi people have been herding wild reindeer in Sweden, Norway and Finland for thousands of years, with each Sámi family tracking and caring for the same herd year after year. In fact, according to the, only the Sámi people are allowed to herd the animals as part of their livelihoods.
The Swedish village the family lives in only speaks Sámi, providing a very rare experience for someone with an interest in languages. On top of that, it’s located near a husky farm that offers dogsledding.
If this sounds like the job for you, you’ll find more information on the job and the family you would be living and working with at the
Feature image by Norman Tsui via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees