Mark your calendars: The Downton Abbey castle will be bookable on Airbnb for one night only
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the Downton Abbey movie release — which premiered on Sept. 20 — the famous Highclere Castle is opening up its doors to Airbnb guests for one night only on Nov. 26 and the low, low price of just $187 per night.
If this is something that tickles your fancy, you’re going to want to set an alarm for 5 p.m. EST on Oct. 1, which is when the reservation opportunities go live. Given the buzz of the show, low cost and exclusivity of this stay, owner Lady Carnavon is expecting it to go fast.
In addition to being the first to book, you’ll also need to have a reason prepared for wanting to stay at the famous set location as Lady Carnavon is looking for guests who are passionate about the show, as well as be a good guest with positive reviews.
Here’s what the lucky couple can expect from a stay at the Highclere:
- Exclusive evening cocktails in the Saloon
- A traditional dinner with the Earl and Countess of Carnavon in the State Dining Room
- Being waited on by the Highclere butler
- Coffee in the library
- A night in the Gallery bedroom with an en-suite bathroom
- Views of 1,000 acres of rolling parkland
Not too shabby.
If you aren’t quick enough to snag a stay here and are still dying to get an inside look at the 19th century, 300-bedroom, 5,000-acre estate you’re not completely out of luck. The Highclere Castle is notorious for hosting a plethora of events, from afternoon tea to dreamy Christmas galas and tours through the garden in the spring. The tickets aren’t royally expensive either at only $21 for a tour of the gardens and the castle.
How to get there
The Highclere Castle is located about an hour and a half west of London. The easiest way to get there from across The Pond is booking a flight to one of the London area airports, like Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW). You can usually get a round-trip ticket in economy from the East Coast for under $300 round-trip. Once you arrive in London, your best bet is to take the train from Paddington Station to Newbury.
Which cards to use to book
Be sure to use a travel rewards credit card on all of your bookings. Here two of your best options:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: If you’re just getting into travel rewards, this is the perfect card to start off with. You’ll earn 2x points on all dining and travel purchases worldwide.
The Platinum Card® from American Express: This card is best for those who have a little more experience with travel rewards and credit cards. You’ll earn 5x points on travel booked with Amex and you’ll get up to $200 in airline credits annually. Check out our guide to using the Amex travel portal.
(Featured photo courtesy of Highclere Castle.)
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.