Mark your calendars: The Downton Abbey castle will be bookable on Airbnb for one night only
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of the Downton Abbey movie release — which premiered on Sept. 20 — the famous Highclere Castle is opening up its doors to Airbnb guests for one night only on Nov. 26 and the low, low price of just $187 per night.
If this is something that tickles your fancy, you’re going to want to set an alarm for 5 p.m. EST on Oct. 1, which is when the reservation opportunities go live. Given the buzz of the show, low cost and exclusivity of this stay, owner Lady Carnavon is expecting it to go fast.
In addition to being the first to book, you’ll also need to have a reason prepared for wanting to stay at the famous set location as Lady Carnavon is looking for guests who are passionate about the show, as well as be a good guest with positive reviews.
Here’s what the lucky couple can expect from a stay at the Highclere:
- Exclusive evening cocktails in the Saloon
- A traditional dinner with the Earl and Countess of Carnavon in the State Dining Room
- Being waited on by the Highclere butler
- Coffee in the library
- A night in the Gallery bedroom with an en-suite bathroom
- Views of 1,000 acres of rolling parkland
Not too shabby.
If you aren’t quick enough to snag a stay here and are still dying to get an inside look at the 19th century, 300-bedroom, 5,000-acre estate you’re not completely out of luck. The Highclere Castle is notorious for hosting a plethora of events, from afternoon tea to dreamy Christmas galas and tours through the garden in the spring. The tickets aren’t royally expensive either at only $21 for a tour of the gardens and the castle.
How to get there
The Highclere Castle is located about an hour and a half west of London. The easiest way to get there from across The Pond is booking a flight to one of the London area airports, like Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW). You can usually get a round-trip ticket in economy from the East Coast for under $300 round-trip. Once you arrive in London, your best bet is to take the train from Paddington Station to Newbury.
Which cards to use to book
Be sure to use a travel rewards credit card on all of your bookings. Here two of your best options:
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card: If you’re just getting into travel rewards, this is the perfect card to start off with. You’ll earn 3x points on all dining and 2x points on travel purchases worldwide.
The Platinum Card® from American Express: This card is best for those who have a little more experience with travel rewards cards. You’ll earn 5x points on eligible airfare and prepaid hotel bookings via Amex Travel (up to $500,000 on airfare purchases per calendar year) and you’ll get up to $200 in airline fee statement credits annually (enrollment required). Check out our guide to using the Amex travel portal.
(Featured photo courtesy of Highclere Castle.)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees