This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has been increasingly offering targeted offers to AAdvantage members. Earlier this month, a new round of members were targeted for an elite status giveaway. Now, we are hearing from readers about a new promotion offering double AAdvantage miles on flights in premium economy, business class and first class.
Targeted members need to register by September 12, and the promotion will apply to flights from the time you register through November 29, 2019 — even if you booked the flight before registering.
Here’s how the offer appeared for TPG‘s Travel Analyst Zach Griff:
There are a few restrictions to keep in mind. First, you need to book and fly two qualifying flights before you’ll get any bonus. Qualifying flights are defined for this promotion as “flights that are both marketed by American Airlines and operated by American, American Eagle, British Airways, Iberia, Finnair or Japan Airlines.”
So, you’ll need to book a flight number that starts with an AA. However, the flight can be operated by AA’s close partners British Airways, Iberia, Finnair or Japan Airlines.
Unfortunately for flyers looking for a fast-track to elite status, the bonus only applies to base AAdvantage miles. That means you won’t get double Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD), and the bonus doesn’t count toward Million Miler status.
To see if you’re targeted for this offer, log into your AAdvantage profile and then click the Promotions tab. If you’re eligible, your AAdvantage Promotions dashboard will probably be filled with the same generic offers that I have:
Although the offer should show up in this dashboard, there’s a way to try to enroll in this promotion even if it doesn’t seem that you’re targeted. To try, head to this American Airlines bonus offer registration page. After logging in, enter code “PS89D” and click register. If you’re not targeted, you’ll get an error message saying that you’re not eligible:
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees