This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What is the best-paid US occupation that only requires an associate’s degree? Air traffic controller, according to the latest data from the US Department of Labor.
“Median annual wages of air-traffic controllers are the highest of any occupation in which workers typically do not need a bachelor’s degree,” said Rachel Gillett of Business Insider. The 2016 median salary was $122,410, with no prior relevant work experience required, since on-the-job training is a long-term, ongoing commitment.
With 7,500 projected job openings through 2024, you might be tempted to quit your day job and switch careers. But air traffic control isn’t just a cushy paycheck: From application to retirement, the high-intensity job takes grit, determination and resilience. The application process is open only once a year, can take months, and is available only to English-speaking US citizens 31 years of age or younger who have either a bachelor’s degree or three years of prior work experience (or some combination of the two).
Successful applicants can expect months of ongoing training and evaluations, with 25-40% of hopeful ATCs washing out early on. In fact, the certification process has been compared in intensity to earning a graduate degree.
If all of that has killed your fantasy of making six figures a year, don’t fret: Check out the other 24 job occupations on the “best-paid” list. Of noteworthy interest for #AvGeeks? Commercial pilots rank No. 10 on the list, with a median salary of $77,200, while aerospace engineering and operations technicians rank No. 25, with a median salary of $68,020.
Featured image by Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees