Don’t Get That Groupon For Priority Pass, You Can Do Better
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you’re unfamiliar, Priority Pass is a lounge membership program that offers access to more than 1,200 lounges and restaurants in airports worldwide. Membership plans range from a variety of prices and levels of accessibility.
While the Groupon deals do offer discounts on these plans, if you’re seeking a good bargain on a Priority Pass, this is definitely not your best option. Here’s a little breakdown of why this is the case:
If you were to buy the $7 package, you’d receive $76 toward Standard Plus Membership which includes 10 free lounge visits per year (it’s not even worth considering the Standard Membership). After those 10 visits you’d have to pay $32 per visit, and any guest you want to bring with you will cost another $32. With this Groupon deal, you’d be getting the Priority Pass’ Standard Plus membership for $230, while $299 is the normal going rate.
However, there are plenty of other ways to get significantly cheaper access to the Priority Pass network.
Many credit cards offer complimentary Priority Pass membership just for being a cardholder. And even though some of those cards come with a high annual fee, you’re likely better off with them than going through Groupon.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve comes with a Priority Pass Select membership and gets you unlimited visits and allows you to bring two guests in for free, every time. The Chase Sapphire Reserve does have an annual fee of $450, but that big number is easily offset by the card’s $300 annual travel credit (which is quite easy to redeem). If you say the effective annual fee of the Reserve is $150, then it’s fair to say you’re getting a much better Priority Pass membership at a significantly lower price tag than what you’d get on Groupon.
The Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card also offers customers a free Priority Pass Select membership sans the unlimited access to the lounge network. Rather, Ascend cardholders receive 10 free lounge visits per year (and a pass can be used for guests too) with all additional passes for $27. It also has a reasonable annual fee of just $95 (see rates & fees), and when considering that the membership Ascend offers is nearly identical as the Standard Plus Membership that would cost $230 with Groupon, you’ll be significantly ahead if you go through Ascend. Plus, you’ll have some Hilton perks to boot (think complimentary Gold Status).
There are other credit cards, like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Citi Prestige Card, that offer better Priority Pass membership as well. For an in-depth guide to the Priority Pass program, click here and check out our stories on how How to Enroll in Priority Pass (With Eligible Credit Cards) and The Best Credit Cards for Airport Lounge Access in 2019.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.