Donate to Wildfire Relief and Earn up to 1,000 United Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s always nice to lend a hand to others in need, but if you can earn miles while doing it, that puts the icing on the cake.
United Airlines announced Tuesday the opportunity for MilagePlus members to earn miles while donating directly to charities aiding residents in California who have fallen victim to the wildfires ravaging the northern and southern regions of the state.
The airline said it would be starting a Crowdrise by GoFundMe fundraising campaign, which will allow MileagePlus members to donate directly to three charities helping with wildfire relief: The American Red Cross, the North Valley Community Foundation or the Ventura County Foundation. As of this writing, United has already raised $18,512 in donations.
According to the terms and conditions, United MileagePlus members who donate at least $50 to $99 will receive 250 MileagePlus bonus award miles; members who donate $100-$249, will receive 500 bonus award miles and members who donate $250 or more will receive 1,000 bonus award miles.
United miles are worth 1.3 cents each, according to TPG’s latest valuations. So, donating $250 for the maximum of 1,000 bonus miles would be worth about $13, plus the satisfaction of helping the wildfire victims, which is first priority.
The donation must be made between Nov. 12 and 11:59pm CDT on Nov. 30, 2018, and the offer is limited to one donation per MileagePlus account.
United will be capping the miles giveaway at 5 million miles total, distributed on a first come, first served basis, so hop on this offer sooner rather than later if you’re interested.
The carrier also said it would donate $150,000 directly to Ventura County Community Foundation and North Valley Community Foundation, which will go toward furthering the fight against the wildfires and relief efforts to those affected by them.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees