Donate to Wildfire Relief and Earn up to 1,000 United Miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s always nice to lend a hand to others in need, but if you can earn miles while doing it, that puts the icing on the cake.
United Airlines announced Tuesday the opportunity for MilagePlus members to earn miles while donating directly to charities aiding residents in California who have fallen victim to the wildfires ravaging the northern and southern regions of the state.
The airline said it would be starting a Crowdrise by GoFundMe fundraising campaign, which will allow MileagePlus members to donate directly to three charities helping with wildfire relief: The American Red Cross, the North Valley Community Foundation or the Ventura County Foundation. As of this writing, United has already raised $18,512 in donations.
According to the terms and conditions, United MileagePlus members who donate at least $50 to $99 will receive 250 MileagePlus bonus award miles; members who donate $100-$249, will receive 500 bonus award miles and members who donate $250 or more will receive 1,000 bonus award miles.
United miles are worth 1.3 cents each, according to TPG’s latest valuations. So, donating $250 for the maximum of 1,000 bonus miles would be worth about $13, plus the satisfaction of helping the wildfire victims, which is first priority.
The donation must be made between Nov. 12 and 11:59pm CDT on Nov. 30, 2018, and the offer is limited to one donation per MileagePlus account.
United will be capping the miles giveaway at 5 million miles total, distributed on a first come, first served basis, so hop on this offer sooner rather than later if you’re interested.
The carrier also said it would donate $150,000 directly to Ventura County Community Foundation and North Valley Community Foundation, which will go toward furthering the fight against the wildfires and relief efforts to those affected by them.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.