Paw Patrol: Dogs Now Being Used to Deter Hungry Seagulls in Sydney Harbor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s always important to keep an eye on your belongings as a tourist — especially when your assailant has the advantage of going airborne in the blink of an eye. And nowhere is this problem worse than at Sydney Harbor’s famed Opera House, where hungry gulls have been targeting unsuspecting patrons dining at the attraction’s outdoor bar and restaurants.
The problem has gotten so bad recently that in order to combat the greedy gulls, the Sydney Opera House has decided to call for backup by bringing in a team of five dogs that will patrol the area with handlers from 12 – 4pm in the hopes of scaring off the pesky scavengers. “There were broken glasses galore and waitstaff were afraid to leave the kitchen with food,” says the Australian publication, Broadstreet.
Have you heard the news? ?? We’ve enlisted five fuzzy friends for Seagull Patrol around Opera Bar and Opera Kitchen. They’ll protect your hot chips from crafty gulls, one paw-step at a time.
Here is Tauzer modelling Seagull Patrol paw protection – pawfect for hot summer days. pic.twitter.com/1OX1rvUhW1
— Sydney Opera House (@SydOperaHouse) January 22, 2019
The gulls, which are native to Australia, are “protected by law, like the majority of native species on the continent,” according to Lonely Planet. Past initiatives to get rid of the dive-bombers have included the deployment of a robotic hawk as well as the use of “noisemakers.”
Since neither method proved effective, there was no choice left but to call in the dogs. Lonely Planet reports that “the Opera Bar has seen an 80% drop in meal replacement caused by gulls making off with guests’ food” since the program’s trial period began in January. Similar tactics have also been successful at the Australian Maritime Museum.
The Opera House currently has three outdoor dining options: the Opera Bar, Opera Kitchen and Portside. “We always had great reviews: great food, great drinks, great service, but hate the seagulls,” Opera Kitchen general manager Trevelyan Bale told Broadsheet.
H/T: Lonely Planet
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees