There’s Been Another Dog Travel Mix-Up, This Time On American
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s been yet another pet travel incident on an airplane — this time on an American Airlines flight.
A Texas family was waiting on a new puppy for their 8-year-old son to arrive on an American Airlines flight Monday morning. The puppy, a mini Bernadoodle named Atlantic Ocean, was flying in the cargo hold from its breeder in Kansas City (MCI) to his new home in San Antonio (SAT).
But, when the American flight arrived, the boy’s mother realized American had sent them the wrong dog. The dog she was given at the airline’s cargo pickup was a dog that was supposed to be sent to a family in Portland, Oregon.
Meanwhile, Atlantic Ocean was sent on Monday from Kansas City (MCI) to Dallas (DFW) to Portland (PDX). Then the puppy was sent to Los Angeles (LAX), where he would spend the night with food and water before finally being sent to his family in San Antonio (SAT) on Tuesday afternoon.
“You should know where the dog is!” the Texas woman, Carrie LaCasse, said. “It’s like a baby, it can’t talk you need to do extra stuff to make sure pets don’t get lost.”
— Joe Galli (@JoeGalliNews) April 9, 2018
American Airlines told San Antonio’s KOMO News that it was investigating the incident, but for now the carrier believes it shipped the dogs according to the information it had been given, and perhaps there was a mixup with the Kansas City breeder.
“We are still finalizing our investigation, but currently all of the paperwork shows that we shipped the dogs as we received them,” American Spokeswoman Kristin Courtney wrote to KOMO News. “The dog is currently at staying in a climate-controlled room in Portland waiting for his flight to Los Angeles. He will stay the night in Los Angeles at The Kennel Club (right outside the airport entrance). They are a valued partner and care for many of our animals when they need to overnight. The dogs are fed and watered and are able to run around. They will even bath[e] them if necessary.”
This mixup comes amid a deluge of pet flying incidents in recent weeks — most notably, a French bulldog that died when placed in an overhead been of a United flight in March. The airline said it would issue brightly colored luggage tags for all onboard pet carriers to avoid a similar incident in the future. United also sent a Kansas family’s dog to Japan by mistake in March and chartered a private jet to fly the dog back to Kansas before temporarily pausing its pet travel service in its cargo holds in an effort to better improve the program.
Featured image by Angel DiBilio / Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees