Disneyland Paris Poisons 22 People After Pool Chemical Accident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Both guests and staff members were accidentally poisoned at a Disneyland Paris hotel when employees mixed the wrong chemicals together in the property’s swimming pool on Friday.
At least 22 people at the New York hotel were treated for breathing problems and nausea after the incident, which occurred when sulphuric acid and bleach were mixed in the swimming pool and created chlorine gas. The chemicals were incorrectly mixed by a member of the hotel staff.
According to Le Parisien newspaper, the incident occurred at about 12:30pm on Friday while people were in the swimming pool.
Firefighters and other first responders were called to the scene. Four of the people affected (three employees and one guest, according to Le Parisien) were taken to the hospital by ambulance. The firefighters drained the pool and pumped the toxic mixture out of the pool’s system. The hotel moved guests who had rooms close to the pool, which closed from Friday through Saturday morning after the incident.
If inhaled, chlorine’s toxic fumes can cause difficulty breathing, nausea, blurred vision, skin blisters and coughing, according to the CDC.
TPG reached out to Disneyland Paris about the incident, but we did not receive a response by time of publication.
H/T: The Sun
Featured image of Disneyland Paris’ New York Hotel by Pawel Libera/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees