After 64 Years, Disneyland to Begin Selling Alcohol
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Walt Disney’s original theme park, Disneyland in California, opened in 1955 full of rides and attractions for families. One thing you did not find publicly available within the gates of Disneyland, however, was alcohol.
This was very much by Walt’s design, and Disneyland has remained free of alcohol sales to this very day (though there is alcohol available within Disneyland’s very expensive private club, Club 33). As other Disney parks, such as Walt Disney World’s Epcot and eventually even Disney’s Magic Kingdom in Florida, offered up in-park alcohol for purchase, Disneyland has remained a dry theme park — just as it was in 1955.
For 64 years Disneyland did not break with its booze-free tradition, but the arrival of Star Wars Land in 2019 will mark the dawning of a new era for adult Disneyland visitors. The official Disneyland Today Twitter account shared a very interesting sneak peek of Oga’s Cantina that is set to open within Star Wars: Galaxy Edge. The caption said “… kick up your feet and enjoy one of the best drinks in the galaxy.”
That could be interpreted to simply mean they will be offering some sort of non-alcoholic space drinks, but when you dig deeper within the attached link, the (official) Disney Parks Blog confirms, “We are developing a specialty cocktail (non-alcohol and alcohol-based) menu that will include creatively themed custom cocktails, and proprietary beer and wine options.”
Like it, love it or hate it, alcohol is coming to a galaxy not too far away when Oga’s Canita opens at Disneyland next year.
Images courtesy of Disneyland California.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.