This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disney World is a beloved amusement park, attracting more than 19 million people per year. For many, Disney is even more than an amusement park, holding a special place in their hearts. And for some, it is so special that they request to have their ashes transported to the park and dispersed throughout the attractions.
While on the surface this may seem touching that a person enjoyed Disney World so much so that they wanted their time at the park to extend beyond their time on earth, it’s actually a health hazard. Spreading human ashes at Disney World has become a large enough problem that employees at the Orlando park and resort have had to request that visitors stop bringing remains in.
According to the Wall Street Journal, employees at both Orlando’s Disney World and California’s Disneyland report that a “HEPA clean-up incident” — an incident involving fine particles that require a special vacuum to clean up — occurs roughly once a month. More so, employees at Disney noted that when ashes are spread out at a certain attraction or ride, park employees must close the attraction to clean up the remains. This causes a headache not only for Disney employees but also visitors.
A spokesperson from Disney Parks told the Wall Street Journal that dispersing remains at the parks “is strictly prohibited and unlawful.” Doing so will likely result in ejection from the park.
The Wall Street Journal interviewed one woman who admitted to dispersing her father’s ashes at the park and she explained that the family’s annual trip brought out another side of her tired father, who would often work graveyard shifts. No matter how touching a story you might have, it’s still unlawful to spread remains about amusement parks.
According to one Disney employee the Journal spoke with, Disney’s Haunted Mansion is a popular attraction for visitors wanting to spread the ashes of loved ones at the park. The employee is quoted as saying, “The Haunted Mansion probably has so much human ashes in it that it’s not even funny.”
Spreading ashes has long been a ritual to memorialize the lives of loved ones. While this is a heartwarming and intimate gesture, there are limitations to where you’re allowed to disperse them. Aside from being the remains of deceased humans, Disney Parks wants to remind you that ashes are fine particulates and spreading ashes could very well cause the closure of an attraction or ride for others.
Featured image by Jacqueline Nell/Disneyland Resort via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees