Disney Wants Visitors to Stop Spreading Relatives’ Ashes at Park
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Disney World is a beloved amusement park, attracting more than 19 million people per year. For many, Disney is even more than an amusement park, holding a special place in their hearts. And for some, it is so special that they request to have their ashes transported to the park and dispersed throughout the attractions.
While on the surface this may seem touching that a person enjoyed Disney World so much so that they wanted their time at the park to extend beyond their time on earth, it’s actually a health hazard. Spreading human ashes at Disney World has become a large enough problem that employees at the Orlando park and resort have had to request that visitors stop bringing remains in.
According to the Wall Street Journal, employees at both Orlando’s Disney World and California’s Disneyland report that a “HEPA clean-up incident” — an incident involving fine particles that require a special vacuum to clean up — occurs roughly once a month. More so, employees at Disney noted that when ashes are spread out at a certain attraction or ride, park employees must close the attraction to clean up the remains. This causes a headache not only for Disney employees but also visitors.
A spokesperson from Disney Parks told the Wall Street Journal that dispersing remains at the parks “is strictly prohibited and unlawful.” Doing so will likely result in ejection from the park.
The Wall Street Journal interviewed one woman who admitted to dispersing her father’s ashes at the park and she explained that the family’s annual trip brought out another side of her tired father, who would often work graveyard shifts. No matter how touching a story you might have, it’s still unlawful to spread remains about amusement parks.
According to one Disney employee the Journal spoke with, Disney’s Haunted Mansion is a popular attraction for visitors wanting to spread the ashes of loved ones at the park. The employee is quoted as saying, “The Haunted Mansion probably has so much human ashes in it that it’s not even funny.”
Spreading ashes has long been a ritual to memorialize the lives of loved ones. While this is a heartwarming and intimate gesture, there are limitations to where you’re allowed to disperse them. Aside from being the remains of deceased humans, Disney Parks wants to remind you that ashes are fine particulates and spreading ashes could very well cause the closure of an attraction or ride for others.
Featured image by Jacqueline Nell/Disneyland Resort via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees