Disney World Skyliners reopen to passengers today after Oct. 5 incident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sept. 29, Disney World proudly introduced a brand new way to get around some of the massive Disney World complex via the Skyliner gondolas.
However, less than a week later, on Oct. 5, the Skyliners came to a halt after an accident caused a few of the gondola cars to collide with each other at a loading/unloading station. Some guests were stuck in gondolas in the air for more than three hours before they could all be safely off-loaded.
While the Skyliners have been running empty during tests since Oct. 5, today marks the first date that guests can again board the gondolas to travel between Disney’s Art of Animation, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, the Disney’s Riviera Resort (opening in December) and Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Disney reports that the Skyliner is scheduled to be open today from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
We know many of you have been looking for an update on Disney Skyliner at Walt Disney World Resort and are glad to share that it has reopened to guests today: https://t.co/X0MvEO6rvm pic.twitter.com/PJxecCKXgq
— Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) October 14, 2019
TPG has reached out to Disney Parks for a comment regarding the Oct. 5 Skyliner incident and subsequent reopening. We are awaiting a reply, but on the Disney Parks blog, Disney states:
“Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner.”
The Disney Parks site also notes some modified Skyliner hours this week due to system updates:
- Oct. 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 to 10:30 p.m.
- Oct. 17–18: All lines will be open from 1 to 10:30 p.m.
Hopefully the Oct. 5 incident won’t repeat, but I highly recommend having everyone use the restroom before boarding the Skyliner, just in case of a delay. Its reopening is great news for those staying at one of the resorts on the line as flying to a resort sounds like a lot more fun than boarding a bus — assuming you aren’t dangling in the air for a few extra hours.
Featured image by David Roark / Disney Parks
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees