Disney World Skyliners reopen to passengers today after Oct. 5 incident
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Sept. 29, Disney World proudly introduced a brand new way to get around some of the massive Disney World complex via the Skyliner gondolas.
However, less than a week later, on Oct. 5, the Skyliners came to a halt after an accident caused a few of the gondola cars to collide with each other at a loading/unloading station. Some guests were stuck in gondolas in the air for more than three hours before they could all be safely off-loaded.
While the Skyliners have been running empty during tests since Oct. 5, today marks the first date that guests can again board the gondolas to travel between Disney’s Art of Animation, Disney’s Pop Century Resort, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, the Disney’s Riviera Resort (opening in December) and Epcot or Hollywood Studios. Disney reports that the Skyliner is scheduled to be open today from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
We know many of you have been looking for an update on Disney Skyliner at Walt Disney World Resort and are glad to share that it has reopened to guests today: https://t.co/X0MvEO6rvm pic.twitter.com/PJxecCKXgq
— Disney Parks (@DisneyParks) October 14, 2019
TPG has reached out to Disney Parks for a comment regarding the Oct. 5 Skyliner incident and subsequent reopening. We are awaiting a reply, but on the Disney Parks blog, Disney states:
“Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner.”
The Disney Parks site also notes some modified Skyliner hours this week due to system updates:
- Oct. 16: The Disney Hollywood Studios line will be closed while the other two lines will be available from 1 to 10:30 p.m.
- Oct. 17–18: All lines will be open from 1 to 10:30 p.m.
Hopefully the Oct. 5 incident won’t repeat, but I highly recommend having everyone use the restroom before boarding the Skyliner, just in case of a delay. Its reopening is great news for those staying at one of the resorts on the line as flying to a resort sounds like a lot more fun than boarding a bus — assuming you aren’t dangling in the air for a few extra hours.
Featured image by David Roark / Disney Parks
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.