Disney just revealed an epic 2-story suite in the funnel of its newest ship
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Leave it to Disney to come up with what may be the most creative concept ever for a cruise ship suite.
The entertainment company’s cruising division, Disney Cruise Line, on Friday said its next ship would have an epic, two-story-high super suite built right into its soaring forward funnel — offering what will arguably be the most commanding views ever from a suite at sea.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
Dubbed the Wish Tower Suite, the one-of-a-kind accommodation on the 2,508-passenger Disney Wish will sprawl over 1,966 square feet and be themed to the animated Disney film “Moana.”
Currently under construction at a shipyard in Germany, Disney Wish is scheduled to begin sailing on June 9, 2022, with voyages out of Port Canaveral, Florida, to the Bahamas. Cabins for the vessel’s first sailings go on sale to the general public on May 27.
“With the Wish Tower Suite, we are creating a breathtaking experience that continues our tradition of the most unique and enchanting accommodations at sea,” Laura Cabo, portfolio creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering, said in a statement accompanying the announcement.
As described by Disney on Friday, the suite will rival in size, rooms and amenities the most spectacular accommodations at sea.
Disney said the Wish Tower Suite would have two main bedrooms, a separate children’s bedroom, a library that converts to a fourth bedroom and four-and-a-half bathrooms.
Each of the main bedrooms will have king-size beds, walk-in closets and bathrooms with double vanities, soaking tubs and rain showers.
The suite also will have a spacious living room backed by an open dining area, a large pantry and a bar — all offering expansive views to the sea through two-story window walls. One thing the suite will lack, though, as a result of its inside-the-funnel location, is a balcony.
The complex will sleep up to eight passengers in all.
Among the “Moana”-themed touches, the complex will have a porcelain sculpture that, in Disney’s words, “comes alive” when passengers enter the room. It’ll erupt with pulsing lighting and sounds that tie to the film’s soundtrack.
“The special lighting and audio effects will eventually fill the room to provide a truly magical, one-of-a-kind greeting,” Disney said in its announcement.
The complex also will have Moana-related art and objects. The children’s room will feature a “sparkling constellation pattern” of lights on the ceiling that reveal imagery from the movie.
Among many high-end touches, the suite’s beds will be covered with Frette duvets and bed linens, and the windows will have motorized sheer and blackout curtains that can be adjusted at the flick of a switch.
The suite also will come with a personal concierge team and is reached by a private elevator.
Other suite amenities include a wet bar stocked with water and sodas; complimentary internet access; and VIP access to the ship’s exclusive concierge lounge and sun deck area.
There’s room for such a big suite in Disney Wish’s forward funnel as the funnel has not been designed to enclose any piping to carry out exhaust from the ship’s engines. As is the case with all four of Disney’s existing cruise ships, the exhaust from Disney Wish’s engines will be released through the Disney Wish’s rear funnel. The forward funnel is there purely for aesthetic reasons.
On each of Disney’s two newest vessels, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, the forward funnel is home to a tween club called Edge and a small lounge for all passengers called Outlook. On each of the line’s two older vessels (Disney Magic and Disney Wonder) it’s home to a teen club called Vibe.
Disney didn’t release how much the new Wish Tower Suite would cost. But it’s likely to be many thousands of dollars per person for even the shortest three-night cruises. The top suites on current ships can sell for $20,000 or more per couple, per cruise. And comparable suites on ships operated by other major lines also are in the tens of thousands per couple, per cruise.
Disney Wish will be Disney Cruise Line’s first new ship in a decade. It’s the first of three similar “Triton Class” vessels that are scheduled to debut over the next few years.
All three of the ships are being designed to hold about 2,500 passengers, based on double occupancy — that is, with two people per cabin. But with every pull-down bunk and pull-out sofa filled, the total occupancy of the ships will jump to around 4,000 passengers.
Planning a cruise? Start with these stories:
- The 5 most desirable cabin locations on any cruise ship
- The 8 worst cabin locations on any cruise ship
- A quick guide to the most popular cruise lines
- 21 tips and tricks that will make your cruise go smoothly
- 15 ways cruisers waste money
- 12 best cruises for people who never want to grow up
- What to pack for your first cruise
Featured image of courtesy of Disney Cruise Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees