This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marie Jean Pierre, a former dishwasher at the Conrad Miami, won $21 million against the hotel chain in a lawsuit on Tuesday. She had filed charges after upper management continuously scheduled her to work on Sundays, a day she uses to observe her religion. Her mangers eventually fired her for not complying.
The lawsuit was initially filed in 2017. Pierre alleged that the hotel continuously put her on the schedule on Sundays despite the fact that she had informed staff upon hiring that she wouldn’t be able to work that day due to religious obligations. After she threatened to resign in 2009, the hotel granted her requests to avoid working on Sundays.
However, in 2015, things began to sour when the kitchen manager “demanded” she start working on Sundays. For a while, she was able to have people cover the shift for her, but it wasn’t consistent. So, the next year, after nearly a decade of working at the Conrad, she was fired due to “unexcused absences, negligence and alleged misconduct.”
Fast forward to today. The jury, referencing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, decided that scheduling Pierre to work on Sundays infringed on her religious rights. Pierre also won an additional $35,000 in back wages plus $500,000 for “emotional pain and mental anguish,” according to NBC News.
Hilton says it has every intention of appealing the verdict. “We were very disappointed by the jury’s verdict, and don’t believe that it is supported by the facts of this case or the law,” a Hilton spokesperson told USA TODAY in a statement. “During Ms. Pierre’s ten years with the hotel, multiple concessions were made to accommodate her personal and religious commitments. We intend to appeal, and demonstrate that the Conrad Miami was and remains a welcoming place for all guests and employees.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*