Dishwasher Wins $21 Million in Lawsuit Against Conrad Miami
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marie Jean Pierre, a former dishwasher at the Conrad Miami, won $21 million against the hotel chain in a lawsuit on Tuesday. She had filed charges after upper management continuously scheduled her to work on Sundays, a day she uses to observe her religion. Her mangers eventually fired her for not complying.
The lawsuit was initially filed in 2017. Pierre alleged that the hotel continuously put her on the schedule on Sundays despite the fact that she had informed staff upon hiring that she wouldn’t be able to work that day due to religious obligations. After she threatened to resign in 2009, the hotel granted her requests to avoid working on Sundays.
However, in 2015, things began to sour when the kitchen manager “demanded” she start working on Sundays. For a while, she was able to have people cover the shift for her, but it wasn’t consistent. So, the next year, after nearly a decade of working at the Conrad, she was fired due to “unexcused absences, negligence and alleged misconduct.”
Fast forward to today. The jury, referencing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, decided that scheduling Pierre to work on Sundays infringed on her religious rights. Pierre also won an additional $35,000 in back wages plus $500,000 for “emotional pain and mental anguish,” according to NBC News.
Hilton says it has every intention of appealing the verdict. “We were very disappointed by the jury’s verdict, and don’t believe that it is supported by the facts of this case or the law,” a Hilton spokesperson told USA TODAY in a statement. “During Ms. Pierre’s ten years with the hotel, multiple concessions were made to accommodate her personal and religious commitments. We intend to appeal, and demonstrate that the Conrad Miami was and remains a welcoming place for all guests and employees.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees