This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Marie Jean Pierre, a former dishwasher at the Conrad Miami, won $21 million against the hotel chain in a lawsuit on Tuesday. She had filed charges after upper management continuously scheduled her to work on Sundays, a day she uses to observe her religion. Her mangers eventually fired her for not complying.
The lawsuit was initially filed in 2017. Pierre alleged that the hotel continuously put her on the schedule on Sundays despite the fact that she had informed staff upon hiring that she wouldn’t be able to work that day due to religious obligations. After she threatened to resign in 2009, the hotel granted her requests to avoid working on Sundays.
However, in 2015, things began to sour when the kitchen manager “demanded” she start working on Sundays. For a while, she was able to have people cover the shift for her, but it wasn’t consistent. So, the next year, after nearly a decade of working at the Conrad, she was fired due to “unexcused absences, negligence and alleged misconduct.”
Fast forward to today. The jury, referencing the Civil Rights Act of 1964, decided that scheduling Pierre to work on Sundays infringed on her religious rights. Pierre also won an additional $35,000 in back wages plus $500,000 for “emotional pain and mental anguish,” according to NBC News.
Hilton says it has every intention of appealing the verdict. “We were very disappointed by the jury’s verdict, and don’t believe that it is supported by the facts of this case or the law,” a Hilton spokesperson told USA TODAY in a statement. “During Ms. Pierre’s ten years with the hotel, multiple concessions were made to accommodate her personal and religious commitments. We intend to appeal, and demonstrate that the Conrad Miami was and remains a welcoming place for all guests and employees.”
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that