DFW Airport Is Spending $25 Million to Install Dimmable Windows
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love it or hate connecting through it, Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) always seems to be pushing forward with passenger experience improvements. The recently renovated Terminal A looks more like a sleek mall that happens to also have flights than a traditional airport terminal. A recent face-lift to Terminal D’s duty free store turned into the largest in the country, with some little-known secluded passenger seating areas above it.
This week, DFW airport announced its next passenger-comfort and environmentally-friendly improvement: new “dynamic” windows. These windows can be electronically dimmed — similar to what you see on the Boeing Dreamliner — to reduce the amount of light coming through. This can reduce glare and temperatures up to 15 degrees.
The airport just approved a $25.5 million project to install 500,000 square feet of these windows strategically throughout the terminals. Once fully installed, the windows are expected to cut energy costs by about 20%. Dallas News reports that DFW spends $18 million on energy each year. If the 20% savings is realized, the windows will earn back their cost in just seven years.
But, there’s another reason for the windows besides the cost savings. If darker airport windows in DFW sound familiar, that’s because it was just recently reported that darker windows helped cause a 80% jump in alcohol sales at one DFW airport bar. The Twisted Root restaurant/bar and the nearby gate A25 were the test bed for this project. After the huge success during this test, DFW decided to sign the contract for the $25.5 million install.
This new project is far from the first environmentally friendly initiative by DFW. The airport purchases its electricity from renewable sources — or purchases renewable energy offsets. DFW’s shuttles and transportation vehicles almost exclusively run compressed natural gas (CNG). And, believe it or not, DFW runs without air conditioning during the summer. Especially during peak energy demand times, the airport stays cool by pumping chilled water through the terminals.
These efforts achieved a 29% reduction in per passenger carbon emissions from 2010 and 2016. While passengers grew 15% during the same period, the airport cut its energy costs by 38%. After decades of these incremental improvements, in 2016, DFW airport was recognized as first airport in North America to achieve “Carbon Neutral status.”
H/T: Dallas News
Featured image courtesy of View Glass
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees