DFW Airport Is Spending $25 Million to Install Dimmable Windows
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Love it or hate connecting through it, Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) always seems to be pushing forward with passenger experience improvements. The recently renovated Terminal A looks more like a sleek mall that happens to also have flights than a traditional airport terminal. A recent face-lift to Terminal D’s duty free store turned into the largest in the country, with some little-known secluded passenger seating areas above it.
This week, DFW airport announced its next passenger-comfort and environmentally-friendly improvement: new “dynamic” windows. These windows can be electronically dimmed — similar to what you see on the Boeing Dreamliner — to reduce the amount of light coming through. This can reduce glare and temperatures up to 15 degrees.
The airport just approved a $25.5 million project to install 500,000 square feet of these windows strategically throughout the terminals. Once fully installed, the windows are expected to cut energy costs by about 20%. Dallas News reports that DFW spends $18 million on energy each year. If the 20% savings is realized, the windows will earn back their cost in just seven years.
But, there’s another reason for the windows besides the cost savings. If darker airport windows in DFW sound familiar, that’s because it was just recently reported that darker windows helped cause a 80% jump in alcohol sales at one DFW airport bar. The Twisted Root restaurant/bar and the nearby gate A25 were the test bed for this project. After the huge success during this test, DFW decided to sign the contract for the $25.5 million install.
This new project is far from the first environmentally friendly initiative by DFW. The airport purchases its electricity from renewable sources — or purchases renewable energy offsets. DFW’s shuttles and transportation vehicles almost exclusively run compressed natural gas (CNG). And, believe it or not, DFW runs without air conditioning during the summer. Especially during peak energy demand times, the airport stays cool by pumping chilled water through the terminals.
These efforts achieved a 29% reduction in per passenger carbon emissions from 2010 and 2016. While passengers grew 15% during the same period, the airport cut its energy costs by 38%. After decades of these incremental improvements, in 2016, DFW airport was recognized as first airport in North America to achieve “Carbon Neutral status.”
H/T: Dallas News
Featured image courtesy of View Glass
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.