Detroit Metropolitan Airport Remains Closed Due to Winter Weather
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12pm Jan. 23, 2019: After almost 14 hours of closure, Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) reopened Wednesday morning at 10am local time, the airport confirmed on Twitter. “Weather conditions have improved enough to allow the deicing fluid to be effective. At this time, one runway, the surrounding taxiways and deice pads are open,” Erica Donerson, director of Government & External Affairs told The Detroit Free Press.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport remains closed into Wednesday morning due to winter weather. The airport will remain closed for all departures and arrivals until at least 10am local time, and potentially longer.
The airport closed on Tuesday night around 8pm. On Twitter, DTW informed passengers that that its taxiways and runways were closed due to icy conditions, which were made worse by diluted deicing fluid.
As of 6am, the airline took to Twitter again, informing travelers that operations remained suspended. While it said that progress had been made by crews, it was too soon to state when the airport would resume operations.
A spokesperson for DTW released the following statement: “At approximately 8 p.m., all taxiways and runways at Detroit Metropolitan Airport closed due to the icy conditions. For several hours prior, maintenance crews actively treated the airfield. However, the constant rate of precipitation has diluted the deicing fluid, causing it to be ineffective. Crews are on the airfield working to prepare the surfaces to reopen. Based on the weather forecast, DTW is expected to remain closed overnight. Customers are encouraged to contact their airline before heading to the airport.”
Flight tracking website FlightAware shows that so far on Wednesday, 63 flights from DTW had been canceled, and 121 flights attempting to land at DTW had been canceled.
The airport will remain closed until at least 10am local time. Flights that had departed for DTW were forced to divert to surrounding airports.
Passengers trying to fly to or from the airport took to Twitter to vent their frustrations.
Detroit Metropolitan Airport is a hub for Delta Air Lines, for which it serves as its primary gateway to Asia, as well as a major port for operations to Europe.
Featured image by Joe Amon / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees