An Outbreak of a Rare Strain of Dengue Virus Is Spreading in Cuba
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cuban authorities have detected a deadly strain of the dengue virus spreading throughout the Caribbean island nation. The specific type of dengue has not been detected on Cuba since 1977.
Dengue is a virus transmitted by mosquitoes, mostly by the common Aedes Aegypti mosquito, the same carrier of Zika, yellow fever and chikungunya. Residents and tourists visiting the island should be sure to wear a potent mosquito repellent to prevent mosquito bites. Authorities are reportedly spraying for mosquitoes more frequently since the dengue outbreak began.
Symptoms of dengue include fever, vomiting, headaches, abdominal pains and bleeding. Officials say anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical treatment. Special medical clinics have been created to treat the influx of patients with dengue.
“A new epidemic of dengue has broken out, causing alarm and clinical developments, but luckily we have not had to mourn the loss of life up until now,” Salvador Tamayo Muniz, health director of Cuba’s south-central state Cienfuegos, told local leaders, according to newspaper Cinco de Septiembre.
There are four strains of the virus that causes dengue, and all of them have been detected in Cuba, the newspaper said. In the 1977 outbreak, when one of these strains was last detected, about 500,000 people were infected.
H/T: Miami Herald
Featured image by Marka/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.