An Outbreak of a Rare Strain of Dengue Virus Is Spreading in Cuba
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cuban authorities have detected a deadly strain of the dengue virus spreading throughout the Caribbean island nation. The specific type of dengue has not been detected on Cuba since 1977.
Dengue is a virus transmitted by mosquitoes, mostly by the common Aedes Aegypti mosquito, the same carrier of Zika, yellow fever and chikungunya. Residents and tourists visiting the island should be sure to wear a potent mosquito repellent to prevent mosquito bites. Authorities are reportedly spraying for mosquitoes more frequently since the dengue outbreak began.
Symptoms of dengue include fever, vomiting, headaches, abdominal pains and bleeding. Officials say anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical treatment. Special medical clinics have been created to treat the influx of patients with dengue.
“A new epidemic of dengue has broken out, causing alarm and clinical developments, but luckily we have not had to mourn the loss of life up until now,” Salvador Tamayo Muniz, health director of Cuba’s south-central state Cienfuegos, told local leaders, according to newspaper Cinco de Septiembre.
There are four strains of the virus that causes dengue, and all of them have been detected in Cuba, the newspaper said. In the 1977 outbreak, when one of these strains was last detected, about 500,000 people were infected.
H/T: Miami Herald
Featured image by Marka/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees