An Outbreak of a Rare Strain of Dengue Virus Is Spreading in Cuba
Cuban authorities have detected a deadly strain of the dengue virus spreading throughout the Caribbean island nation. The specific type of dengue has not been detected on Cuba since 1977.
Dengue is a virus transmitted by mosquitoes, mostly by the common Aedes Aegypti mosquito, the same carrier of Zika, yellow fever and chikungunya. Residents and tourists visiting the island should be sure to wear a potent mosquito repellent to prevent mosquito bites. Authorities are reportedly spraying for mosquitoes more frequently since the dengue outbreak began.
Symptoms of dengue include fever, vomiting, headaches, abdominal pains and bleeding. Officials say anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical treatment. Special medical clinics have been created to treat the influx of patients with dengue.
“A new epidemic of dengue has broken out, causing alarm and clinical developments, but luckily we have not had to mourn the loss of life up until now,” Salvador Tamayo Muniz, health director of Cuba’s south-central state Cienfuegos, told local leaders, according to newspaper Cinco de Septiembre.
There are four strains of the virus that causes dengue, and all of them have been detected in Cuba, the newspaper said. In the 1977 outbreak, when one of these strains was last detected, about 500,000 people were infected.
H/T: Miami Herald
Featured image by Marka/UIG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.