Delta’s New Milestone Awards Spotlight Record-Setting Medallion Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel is a sport, and as with any sport, records are meant to be kept (and eventually, broken). Delta, winner of the Best US Airline Loyalty Program as voted by TPG readers in 2018, has launched a new platform meant to highlight its most notable Medallion flyers.
The Milestone Awards portal not only spotlights a number of record-setting flyers and employees, but it also sheds light on some fascinating factoids.
- Last year, a Delta flyer from Houston achieved 12 million miles flown on the carrier, while a SkyMiles member since 1981 crossed the 11 million mile mark. Both are short of United’s top man, Tom Stucker, who crossed 20 million miles in November. Meanwhile, yours truly crossed the 1 million mile mark in 2018 and won’t grow tired of his blonde Hartmann carry-on anytime soon.
- A Diamond Medallion member from Illinois flew 473,267 miles in a single year on Delta. Julian P., a soon-to-be-retired pilot and mathematician, also flew the most red-eye flights of any Delta passenger last year (50!) en route to that record.
- Will B., a hard-charging Delta flight attendant, flew 587 legs and 140+ hours each month. His favorite place for a layover? Anchorage, Alaska.
- A 24-year old Diamond Medallion member based in Los Angeles became the youngest to reach million miler status.
- A Diamond Medallion member based in Atlanta set a record with 69 same-day out-and-back flights, mostly between New York and Boston.
- A member based in Florida set the record for visiting the most unique destinations of any Medallion member (50!), reaching a new locale just about each week of the entire year.
- An Army veteran based in Baltimore donated more miles than any other Medallion member — 2 million, to be exact — to SkyWish.
We’d love to see United and American Airlines offer up similar highlights from its most loyal flyers, but as of now neither of Delta’s biggest rivals provide a similar public peek.
Delta reminded me that 2018 was my sixth consecutive year as a Diamond Medallion. If you’re curious what makes it worth chasing, I’ve compiled a list of how to maximize elite status here. For Delta loyalist, we’ve compiled a guide to choosing the best card to complement your flying.
Was 2018 a milestone year in air travel for you? Feel free to share stats of your own in comments below.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Featured image by Darren Murph/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.