Delta’s New Milestone Awards Spotlight Record-Setting Medallion Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel is a sport, and as with any sport, records are meant to be kept (and eventually, broken). Delta, winner of the Best US Airline Loyalty Program as voted by TPG readers in 2018, has launched a new platform meant to highlight its most notable Medallion flyers.
The Milestone Awards portal not only spotlights a number of record-setting flyers and employees, but it also sheds light on some fascinating factoids.
- Last year, a Delta flyer from Houston achieved 12 million miles flown on the carrier, while a SkyMiles member since 1981 crossed the 11 million mile mark. Both are short of United’s top man, Tom Stucker, who crossed 20 million miles in November. Meanwhile, yours truly crossed the 1 million mile mark in 2018 and won’t grow tired of his blonde Hartmann carry-on anytime soon.
- A Diamond Medallion member from Illinois flew 473,267 miles in a single year on Delta. Julian P., a soon-to-be-retired pilot and mathematician, also flew the most red-eye flights of any Delta passenger last year (50!) en route to that record.
- Will B., a hard-charging Delta flight attendant, flew 587 legs and 140+ hours each month. His favorite place for a layover? Anchorage, Alaska.
- A 24-year old Diamond Medallion member based in Los Angeles became the youngest to reach million miler status.
- A Diamond Medallion member based in Atlanta set a record with 69 same-day out-and-back flights, mostly between New York and Boston.
- A member based in Florida set the record for visiting the most unique destinations of any Medallion member (50!), reaching a new locale just about each week of the entire year.
- An Army veteran based in Baltimore donated more miles than any other Medallion member — 2 million, to be exact — to SkyWish.
We’d love to see United and American Airlines offer up similar highlights from its most loyal flyers, but as of now neither of Delta’s biggest rivals provide a similar public peek.
Delta reminded me that 2018 was my sixth consecutive year as a Diamond Medallion. If you’re curious what makes it worth chasing, I’ve compiled a list of how to maximize elite status here. For Delta loyalist, we’ve compiled a guide to choosing the best card to complement your flying.
Was 2018 a milestone year in air travel for you? Feel free to share stats of your own in comments below.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here!
Featured image by Darren Murph/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees