Delta’s First Airbus A330neo Completes Initial Test Flight in France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Airbus A330neo to fly in Delta Air Lines’ livery completed its initial test flight Tuesday. The wide-body jet took off from Airbus’ assembly line near Toulouse in southern France and returned after completing the flight.
The A330neo – “neo” stands for new-engine option – is Airbus’ next-generation update of its A330 wide-body jet. Delta has 35 of the planes on order, with the first expected to be delivered in the coming weeks.
Delta will be the North American launch customer for the A330neo. The aircraft is expected to enter passenger service for the carrier on July 1, when Delta puts the A330neo on its flights between Seattle and Shanghai.
Delta will configure its A330neos with 281 seats, including 29 Delta One Suites that feature lie-flat seats. Delta’s version of the jet also will include 28 Premium Select seats in the carrier’s international-style premium economy cabin and 56 extra-legroom Delta Comfort economy seats. The remaining 168 are standard “Main Cabin” economy seats.
Delta says the planes will be used to help it phase out older jets – including some of its aging Boeing 767-300ERs – as well as for “measured growth.”
TAP Air Portugal became the world’s first airline to take delivery of an A330neo last year. The airline put the jet into passenger service in December on its route between Lisbon and Sao Paulo. TAP Air Portugal’s first US-route on the jet came last month, when the it added the plane to its Miami-Lisbon route.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees