Delta’s First Airbus A330neo Completes Initial Test Flight in France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Airbus A330neo to fly in Delta Air Lines’ livery completed its initial test flight Tuesday. The wide-body jet took off from Airbus’ assembly line near Toulouse in southern France and returned after completing the flight.
The A330neo – “neo” stands for new-engine option – is Airbus’ next-generation update of its A330 wide-body jet. Delta has 35 of the planes on order, with the first expected to be delivered in the coming weeks.
Delta will be the North American launch customer for the A330neo. The aircraft is expected to enter passenger service for the carrier on July 1, when Delta puts the A330neo on its flights between Seattle and Shanghai.
Delta will configure its A330neos with 281 seats, including 29 Delta One Suites that feature lie-flat seats. Delta’s version of the jet also will include 28 Premium Select seats in the carrier’s international-style premium economy cabin and 56 extra-legroom Delta Comfort economy seats. The remaining 168 are standard “Main Cabin” economy seats.
Delta says the planes will be used to help it phase out older jets – including some of its aging Boeing 767-300ERs – as well as for “measured growth.”
TAP Air Portugal became the world’s first airline to take delivery of an A330neo last year. The airline put the jet into passenger service in December on its route between Lisbon and Sao Paulo. TAP Air Portugal’s first US-route on the jet came last month, when the it added the plane to its Miami-Lisbon route.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees