Delta’s First Airbus A330neo Completes Initial Test Flight in France
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The first Airbus A330neo to fly in Delta Air Lines’ livery completed its initial test flight Tuesday. The wide-body jet took off from Airbus’ assembly line near Toulouse in southern France and returned after completing the flight.
The A330neo – “neo” stands for new-engine option – is Airbus’ next-generation update of its A330 wide-body jet. Delta has 35 of the planes on order, with the first expected to be delivered in the coming weeks.
Delta will be the North American launch customer for the A330neo. The aircraft is expected to enter passenger service for the carrier on July 1, when Delta puts the A330neo on its flights between Seattle and Shanghai.
Delta will configure its A330neos with 281 seats, including 29 Delta One Suites that feature lie-flat seats. Delta’s version of the jet also will include 28 Premium Select seats in the carrier’s international-style premium economy cabin and 56 extra-legroom Delta Comfort economy seats. The remaining 168 are standard “Main Cabin” economy seats.
Delta says the planes will be used to help it phase out older jets – including some of its aging Boeing 767-300ERs – as well as for “measured growth.”
TAP Air Portugal became the world’s first airline to take delivery of an A330neo last year. The airline put the jet into passenger service in December on its route between Lisbon and Sao Paulo. TAP Air Portugal’s first US-route on the jet came last month, when the it added the plane to its Miami-Lisbon route.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.