FBI and Delta Team up to Transport Stolen ‘Wizard of Oz’ Slippers to Smithsonian
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve seen commercial airliners carry some pretty remarkable people, objects and animals, but Dorothy’s ruby red slippers? That’s another level entirely. Turns out, the iconic red slippers from “The Wizard of Oz” were stolen in 2005 from the Judy Garland Museum in her hometown of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Some 13 years later, Delta Air Lines helped bring ’em back.
Delta’s Dan Wellcome, operations service manager at Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport, received an unusual phone call on July 11, 2018. The US Federal Bureau of Investigation was on the other end, requesting a very specific arrangement. Three seats, all in the same row, to carry a couple of folks and a “high-value object” from Minneapolis to Washington, DC. They also needed to ensure that their package wouldn’t be forced to go overhead; rather, it would need to occupy a middle seat all its own.
Now that the FBI has disclosed the reason for the trip, Mike Robles, one of the flight attendants on board, recounts the journey. “They pre-boarded with the package, and I offered them coffee and snacks,” Robles said. “They told me they had been busy traveling in the last few days and were transporting a ‘high-profile package.’ It was in a box with a fragile sticker and highly guarded.”
Flight attendant Samantha Taylor chimed in with a story of her own: “We fly so many different law enforcement officers, political figures and celebrities that sometimes, I think we’re accustomed to not being surprised. But I would’ve never guessed Dorothy’s slippers were in a package safeguarded by the FBI onboard not one, but two flights I worked.”
As for the slippers? They were recovered in a sting operation that ended in Minneapolis, and once they landed in DC, they were “transported to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History — where a second pair has been on display since 1979 — for comparison.” Said museum most definitely has nods that AvGeeks all the world over can appreciate, and now, a rosy pair of shoes adds to the legacy.
Featured photo courtesy of www.fbi.gov.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees