Delta Upgrade Certificates are now valid on companion certificates
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, we shared the good news that Delta was extending Upgrade Certificate validity and adding an online availability tool. Yesterday, we confirmed that Upgrade Certificates could be applied to award tickets as well as Miles + Cash tickets on Delta-operated flights. It seems that Delta has further expanded Upgrade Certificate eligibility to Pay with Miles tickets a companion certificates.
This is great news if you have one of the cobranded Delta cards, which come with annual companion certificates upon renewal:
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
This offers an incentive for Delta Medallion members with rising SkyMiles balances to put them to use for future travel. Now those members don’t have to choose between getting an upgrade and keeping out-of-pocket travel costs low. Delta’s dynamic pricing has lead to some incredible deals on award tickets. Applying an upgrade to those awards is a great way to squeeze even more value out of them.
The inclusion of companion certificates makes both the Delta Upgrade Certificates and companion certificates more valuable.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Summary of Delta upgrade award changes
The ability to use Upgrade Certificates for award tickets is just one of many positive changes Delta introduced recently. Here’s a quick overview of changes Delta has recently announced:
- All active and expired Global Upgrade Certificates and Regional Upgrade Certificates selected between March 1, 2019 – Dec. 31, 2020 are valid for flights through Dec. 31, 2021.
- Upgrade availability is now searchable online, though you still need to call to apply them.
- Upgrades can be applied to award tickets as well as paid fares.
- Upgrades can be applied to Delta companion certificates.
How this compares to other airlines
Delta is definitely leading the pack when it comes to making Upgrade Certificates easier to redeem. At the moment, neither American nor United allows members to apply Upgrade Certificates to award tickets. It certainly makes Delta SkyMiles more useful, especially if you can book a cheap award ticket on a flight with upgrade availability.
Delta has also extended Upgrade Certificate validity well beyond American Airlines’ July 31, 2021 date, though it’s lagging behind United’s July 2022 extension. With travel expected to pick up this summer following widespread vaccination, redeeming upgrades before they expire likely won’t be an issue for most Medallion members.
Hopefully, down the line, Delta will also allow members to apply upgrades online instead of having to call in. That’s one advantage that United has over both Delta and American – PlusPoint upgrades can be redeemed online. This option is so much more convenient, especially when you’re booking travel on-the-go or call wait times are inordinately long.
Overall, this is great news for Delta Medallion members who have Upgrade and companion certficates saved up. It means that redeeming these upgrades will be much easier in the future since there’s now a choice between applying them to paid or award travel, as well as companion tickets. It could also lead the way for American and United to follow Delta in allowing upgrades to be used on award tickets, since that’s historically what has happened with major program changes Delta rolls out.
Featured image by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees