Delta Aircraft Reportedly Smokes, Blows Tires After Landing Heavy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight from Newark (EWR) to Paris (CDG) made an emergency landing at New York’s JFK Airport Monday night after the aircraft reportedly experienced a hydraulic failure.
Delta Flight 20 took off from EWR at 6:28pm ET. The Boeing 767-300 was shortly after diverted to JFK due to what the airline called a “maintenance issue.” The aircraft diverted to JFK because there were additional aircraft there, ready to be swapped in to complete the flight if necessary.
“Delta flight 20 from New Jersey to Paris, France diverted to JFK due to a maintenance issue,” a Delta spokesperson told TPG in an email. “The flight landed without incident and Delta has dispatched an alternate aircraft to continue the flight to Paris-Charles de Gaulle. The safety of Delta’s customers and crew is always our top priority.”
Although Delta says the flight landed “without incident,” the union representing the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police posted on Twitter that during the emergency landing, the plane landed heavy, causing the brakes to smoke and multiple tires to burst on the landing gear. The union, known as the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, also said the diversion took place due to hydraulic failure.
Mon., 9/24, JFK Airport; #PAPD ARFF with Delta Flt 20 that departed NWK & had hydraulic failure. Diverted to JFK, landed heavy on R/W 4L resulting in smoking, hot brakes causing two tires on each main gear to rupture. #PAPDPROTECTSNYNJ #jfkairport pic.twitter.com/uKmC9v8aHs
— Port Authority PBA (@PAPD911) September 25, 2018
No injuries were reported among the 205 passengers on board. Flight Radar 24 shows that the new plane took off from JFK at 8:35pm ET and landed in Paris at 4:00pm local time.
Featured image by Port Authority PBA via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.