Have a birthday soon? Check your email, Delta SkyMiles members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Check your email if your birthday’s coming up and you’re a Delta SkyMiles member.
Some TPG staffers have reported that family members received an email from Delta offering a choice of three birthday gifts which could be a nice bonus for a future trip.
TPG executive editor Scott Mayerowitz and senior aviation reporter Ethan Klapper both reported family members received an email prompting them to select which birthday offering they would prefer. The choices are 500 bonus miles, two drink vouchers or up to $500 in savings with Delta Vacations.
When you click on the offer, it takes you to a landing page that explains the promotion. It appears this is a targeted offer sent to certain SkyMiles members 45 days before their birthday. You have 45 days to make a selection once you receive the offer.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
You won’t earn a free flight or a trip in Delta One, but who says no to a free birthday gift?
My birthday is months away, so I’ve received no such offer. Still, if I was presented with these choices I’d probably go with the drink vouchers, which can be redeemed for inflight beverages.
TPG values Delta SkyMiles at 1.41 cents per mile, which means the offer of 500 bonus miles is only worth about $7. Most inflight alcoholic beverages aboard Delta flights fall in the $8-$10 range, so for the two vouchers, you’re getting a $16-$20 value.
This could be good timing since the airline recently added new options to its inflight drink menu.
Your calculation may be different than mine, of course, if you’re looking to book an award flight and find yourself just a few hundred miles shy of what you need for a free flight.
That being said, there are also plenty of other opportunities to earn 500 miles. For instance, if you carry the Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card, which gets you 2 miles per dollar at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets., a $150 grocery run and a $100 dinner out at a restaurant will earn the same number of miles Delta is offering.
Putting the offer to use
If you received this offer and are flying with Delta soon, the drink vouchers should appear in your SkyMiles account within 24 hours, according to Delta. They’ll expire 60 days after you receive them. The bonus miles should hit your account within 48 hours.
As for the Delta Vacations promotion, this would go toward the flight-and-hotel vacation packages the airline sells.
There’s a caveat on this particular choice: How much you can save depends on how much you spend. To tap into the maximum $500 discount available in this promotion, you’d have to spend $6,000 or more. If you spend $1,499 or less, you’ll get a $25 discount.
If you’re a Delta SkyMiles member with a birthday coming up, check your email. You could score a couple of free drinks on your next trip or add to your mileage balance.
Featured photo by Camilo Freedman/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees