A Year of Empty-Leg Private Jet Travel Up For Grabs in Delta SkyMiles Auction
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
A one-year Delta Private Jets Sky Access membership usually runs $8,500, but the winner of a SkyMiles Experience auction now underway will get to up their travel game by cashing out SkyMiles instead.
The auction concludes on April 15, with the current top bid standing at 376,000 SkyMiles. TPG values each SkyMile at 1.2 cents, which means that you shouldn’t bid more than 708,000 SkyMiles or you’re better off paying cash for the membership.
Sky Access members can book empty legs with Delta Private Jets Shuttle up to 24 hours prior to departure at no cost per leg and no limit on quantity, and should you win, you’ll receive reduced hourly pricing for standard private jet charters as well.
Delta offers thousands of daily flights, but there’s an elite few operated by its private jet division that you won’t often see while planespotting from a Sky Club lounge.
Empty legs are flights scheduled without passengers to ensure an aircraft is positioned for a trip at the right airport at the right time, so if your schedule is flexible (and you’re based in the greater Atlanta area), there’s no telling how far you could fly in a year.
If you’re curious what life is like on a private jet, we’ve got you covered. TPG himself traveled with Editor-at-Large Zach Honig on a Gulfstream G500, and contributor J. Scott Clark recently zoomed across the United States on a HondaJet Elite.
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
If you’re a little short on miles to participate in the auction, fret not. There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 60,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus (you can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles) Terms Apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 8125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee,$550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020; See Rates & Fees); 40,000-mile welcome bonus plus 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a Gulfstream G500 by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.