Delta Passenger Has ‘Cartilage Damage’ After Being Kicked by Child
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on a Delta flight is claiming she was bruised after being repeatedly kicked by a child seated next to her.
Sally Canario was aboard a Delta flight traveling from Los Angeles (LAX) to Minneapolis (MSP) on April 2. Canario was in a window seat, a child was in the middle seat, and the child’s mother was in the aisle set.
“I was up against the window, trying to get some sleep on a red-eye flight,” Canario told The Sun. “A stranger’s daughter was trying to sleep on the plane with her head in her mother’s lap and her feet in my face, in my side, and on my lap. The girl threw a bad tantrum — screaming, crying, and bicycle kicking while she was trying to sleep, [but] the airline would not accommodate me for a safer, comparable seat.”
Canario brought up the situation to a Delta flight attendant who waved her off.
“I flagged down a flight attendant to file an injury report,” said Canario. “His response was, ‘I am not a babysitter. You two parties need to work things out. This is a full flight. I do not take injury reports… you aren’t injured.’ ”
Canario then claimed that the flight attendant accused her of inciting the situation:
“I heard you were causing trouble and harassing the family next to you,” Canario claims the flight attendant said to her. The mother of the child told the flight attendant that Canario was not being abused.
Canario claims she’s suffered “cartilage damage” from the kicking child.
“I am hurting on my chest from my sternum to my right rib cage,” she told The Sun. “It is visible asymmetry of my rib cage. My doctor assured me cartilage will heal but be painful for the next week.”
“We regret to learn of the experience and discomfort described by this customer on a recent flight. We are in direct contact with this customer while we gather more information about the situation,” Delta said in a statement to Fox News.
We’ve reached out to Delta for additional information, but they didn’t respond by the time of publishing.
Canario puts blame on the airline’s seating policies. She says that the mother and daughter were also flying with a third person, the husband and father.
“Towards the end of the flight, the mother explained to me that her husband bought discount tickets for spring break where Delta does not allow seat selection 24-hours prior to boarding,” Canario said, likely referring to Delta’s basic economy tickets that don’t include seat selection in the price of the ticket.
“Why don’t they sit families together?”Canario asked. “Had I known her husband was on the flight, I would have gladly traded with him and spared myself this painful injury and hellish nightmare.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees