Delta Offering Enhanced Status Match Challenge to Alaska Air Frequent Flyers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is offering Alaska Airlines elite frequent flyers the opportunity to match their status with Delta. Five years after starting a hub at Seattle-Tacoma (SEA), Delta is continuing to take on Alaska Air, the largest carrier at the airport, head on. This latest status match challenge promotion encourages loyal Alaska Airlines flyers to become loyal to Delta, the second-largest carrier at Sea-Tac, by offering elite flyers a higher tier with Delta. The promotion was first reported by Points, Miles & Martinis.
Delta is one of the many airlines that offers elite frequent flyers the ability to match their status at any time. While Delta’s standard status match challenge can be quite valuable to frequent flyers loyal to the airline’s competitors, this Alaska challenge is quite lucrative.
Typically, Delta Air Lines will match Alaska Airlines MileagePlan MVP Gold flyers to Gold Medallion status. With the current status match promotion, MVP Gold frequent flyers will now be matched to Platinum Medallion status. Additionally, MileagePlan MVP flyers would usually be matched to Silver Medallion status. With Delta’s promotion, MVP frequent flyers will receive Gold Medallion status. MileagePlan MVP Gold 75K flyers will continue to receive Platinum Medallion status.
While frequent flyers who receive a status match challenge can take advantage of the benefits associated with that status, those benefits will only be available for a short period of time.
Status obtained via a match is only valid for three months, then flyers will be required to fly a set number of miles or segments and spend a set amount to earn elite qualifying dollars and maintain their elite status. The requirements are as follows:
Gold Medallion Status:
- Earn at least 12,500 MQ Miles s or 15 MQ Segments
- Plus earn at least $1,500 MQ Dollars or earn an MQD waiver through credit card spend
Platinum Medallion Status:
- Earn at least 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs
- Plus earn at least $2,250 MQDs or earn an MQD waiver through credit card spend
The Points Guy values Delta Gold Medallion status at $2,235 while Platinum Medallion status is valued at $3,865. For a full guide to what Delta elite status is worth and list of benefits, consult our guide to Delta Medallion status.
To be eligible for this status match challenge (or any Delta status match challenge), you cannot have applied for and received a Delta status match in the past three years. Additionally, all frequent flyers wishing to match their status with Delta must be able to present current elite status membership credentials, as well as a recent statement that indicates the applicant earned elite status on another airline.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees