Delta Offering Enhanced Status Match Challenge to Alaska Air Frequent Flyers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is offering Alaska Airlines elite frequent flyers the opportunity to match their status with Delta. Five years after starting a hub at Seattle-Tacoma (SEA), Delta is continuing to take on Alaska Air, the largest carrier at the airport, head on. This latest status match challenge promotion encourages loyal Alaska Airlines flyers to become loyal to Delta, the second-largest carrier at Sea-Tac, by offering elite flyers a higher tier with Delta. The promotion was first reported by Points, Miles & Martinis.
Delta is one of the many airlines that offers elite frequent flyers the ability to match their status at any time. While Delta’s standard status match challenge can be quite valuable to frequent flyers loyal to the airline’s competitors, this Alaska challenge is quite lucrative.
Typically, Delta Air Lines will match Alaska Airlines MileagePlan MVP Gold flyers to Gold Medallion status. With the current status match promotion, MVP Gold frequent flyers will now be matched to Platinum Medallion status. Additionally, MileagePlan MVP flyers would usually be matched to Silver Medallion status. With Delta’s promotion, MVP frequent flyers will receive Gold Medallion status. MileagePlan MVP Gold 75K flyers will continue to receive Platinum Medallion status.
While frequent flyers who receive a status match challenge can take advantage of the benefits associated with that status, those benefits will only be available for a short period of time.
Status obtained via a match is only valid for three months, then flyers will be required to fly a set number of miles or segments and spend a set amount to earn elite qualifying dollars and maintain their elite status. The requirements are as follows:
Gold Medallion Status:
- Earn at least 12,500 MQ Miles s or 15 MQ Segments
- Plus earn at least $1,500 MQ Dollars or earn an MQD waiver through credit card spend
Platinum Medallion Status:
- Earn at least 18,750 MQMs or 25 MQSs
- Plus earn at least $2,250 MQDs or earn an MQD waiver through credit card spend
The Points Guy values Delta Gold Medallion status at $2,235 while Platinum Medallion status is valued at $3,865. For a full guide to what Delta elite status is worth and list of benefits, consult our guide to Delta Medallion status.
To be eligible for this status match challenge (or any Delta status match challenge), you cannot have applied for and received a Delta status match in the past three years. Additionally, all frequent flyers wishing to match their status with Delta must be able to present current elite status membership credentials, as well as a recent statement that indicates the applicant earned elite status on another airline.
Featured image by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.