Delta Landing Gear Bursts Into Flames Upon Touchdown in Atlanta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta aircraft’s landing gear caught fire on Thursday after a mechanical issue forced it to return to its origin airport. Delta Flight 673 was departing for Quito, Ecuador (UIO) from Atlanta (ATL) on Thursday when the crew realized there was something wrong with the aircraft.
Upon landing back at ATL, the aircraft’s brakes locked up, which caused one of its landing gears to catch, said the Federal Aviation Administration. The fire caused Runway 27 Right to shutdown, which is one of five runways at the world’s busiest airport.
A Delta spokeswoman told TPG that the flames were “quickly extinguished on one of the aircraft’s landing gears.”
A video taken from another taxing aircraft shows smoke surrounding the Boeing 757-200.
The aircraft was carrying 199 passengers when it landed at 7:49 ET. It made it to Florida before it had to turn back, according to FlightAware.
The 757 was towed to the gate after the fire was extinguished and customers deplaned normally, a Delta spokesperson said. Flyers continued on to Quito after a few hours on the ground in Atlanta with an alternate 757.
Featured image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.