Delta, KLM Reportedly Don’t Like Air France’s Potential Next Choice of CEO
It seems like more palace intrigue is surfacing from Air France-KLM headquarters.
After months of employee strikes over pay, Jean-Marc Janaillac, the airline group’s chairman and CEO, resigned in early May. Now, as Air France begins floating names to replace him, some of the airline’s partners are opposing names on the list — particularly Philippe Capron, who is currently chief financial officer of French water utility company Veolia.
According to Reuters, Capron is one of the favorites to become Air France-KLM’s new CEO. But both Dutch airline KLM, which is part of the overall airline group, and Delta, which owns an 8.8% equity stake, are less than thrilled with the choice. In fact, they formally expressed their opposition to the frontrunner to takeover the carrier’s helm.
Their main complaint? Capron’s lack of airline experience, reports France’s BFM Business.
It’s not a bad point, except that Jean-Marc Janaillac did come from an extensive aviation, tourism and transportation background, yet he couldn’t solve the current labor problems at Air France-KLM.
France’s Economy Minister Bruno Le Maire — the same official who warned that Air France might “disappear” due to all of its internal turmoil — confirmed over the weekend that Capron was being seriously considered for the role of CEO, saying he was “one candidate among several others” for the position.
Featured image courtesy Air France.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees