Delta Flight Has Uncontained Engine Failure, Diverts to Atlanta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Delta flight out of Atlanta (ATL) on Wednesday night experienced a reported uncontained engine failure shortly after take off.
As Delta flight 1418 departed ATL for Orlando (MCO), the engine failed. The pilots shut down the engine and diverted back to Atlanta, where the plane landed safely, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. There were no injuries reported among the 127 people on board.
The flight was operated by a Boeing 757-200, registered N668DN. The aircraft is 27 years old, and Flight Global reports it’s equipped with Pratt & Whitney turbofan engines.
An uncontained engine failure turned deadly in April, when Southwest flight 1380 experienced one. In that situation, an engine fan blade snapped off and flew through a passenger’s window, injuring and killing one person on board.
Federal regulators instructed all airlines to inspect their fan blades after that fatal accident — though they required inspections on CFM engines, the type of aircraft engine the Southwest 737 was using.
The NTSB said Thursday that it would be investigating the Delta incident.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.