This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following the crawl-then-walk approach, Delta’s pre-select meal program has been testing the waters for most of 2018. Back in September, the carrier announced that it would allow Delta One passengers departing from Amsterdam (AMS), Paris (CDG) and London (LHR) inbound to the US to select their meal in advance.
Starting Dec. 6, 2018, Delta will expand its pre-select meal program to include all outbound and inbound Delta One routes, offering pre-select on flights to customers traveling between the United States and Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America.
Moreover, pre-select is also available on long-haul domestic routes where Delta One is offered. Currently, that includes New York (JFK) to/from Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), San Diego (SAN) and Seattle (SEA); Washington (DCA) to/from Los Angeles; Boston (BOS) to/from Los Angeles; Atlanta (ATL) to/from Honolulu (HNL); Minneapolis–Saint Paul (MSP) to/from Honolulu.
Customers in eligible markets will receive an email from Delta three days prior to their flight, asking them to select their first choice meal. All that’s needed to participate is a valid email address, listed in the customer’s SkyMiles account or in their passenger record.
For those sitting somewhere else, dreaming of what Delta One would be like, there’s a bit of news to share there as well: Delta is serving new offerings in its Flight Fuel menu for customers in the Main Cabin, including a new “Protein Box” and a pair of Luvo chicken wraps. Even more enticing? Delta’s domestic First Class and Delta Comfort+ snack baskets have been refreshed with new options, including Sun Chips, Erin Baker’s Pumpkin Spice Cookie and the legendary Oreo.
While the likes of Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines have offered premium cabin clients the ability to peruse menus and select delicacies prior to departure, Delta’s twist on the scheme is relatively new. Closer to home, American Airlines rolled out a food pre-ordering system this summer for economy passengers on select routes. And, just last week, it partnered with Zoës Kitchen to stock fresh sandwiches, wraps and snacks.
It’s also worth noting that with AA’s pre-order system, you can select meals up to 30 days before your flight, with the cut-off being 24 hours prior to departure. Delta has yet to publish what its selection cut-off time will be. United, meanwhile, doesn’t offer pre-select for any flight (excepting those to/from Japan, where you can pre-select the Japanese meal option) beyond the usual special meals for those with food allergies and intolerances.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees