Delta Expands Pre-Select Meal Program to all Delta One Routes Globally
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following the crawl-then-walk approach, Delta’s pre-select meal program has been testing the waters for most of 2018. Back in September, the carrier announced that it would allow Delta One passengers departing from Amsterdam (AMS), Paris (CDG) and London (LHR) inbound to the US to select their meal in advance.
Starting Dec. 6, 2018, Delta will expand its pre-select meal program to include all outbound and inbound Delta One routes, offering pre-select on flights to customers traveling between the United States and Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America.
Moreover, pre-select is also available on long-haul domestic routes where Delta One is offered. Currently, that includes New York (JFK) to/from Las Vegas (LAS), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), San Diego (SAN) and Seattle (SEA); Washington (DCA) to/from Los Angeles; Boston (BOS) to/from Los Angeles; Atlanta (ATL) to/from Honolulu (HNL); Minneapolis–Saint Paul (MSP) to/from Honolulu.
Customers in eligible markets will receive an email from Delta three days prior to their flight, asking them to select their first choice meal. All that’s needed to participate is a valid email address, listed in the customer’s SkyMiles account or in their passenger record.
For those sitting somewhere else, dreaming of what Delta One would be like, there’s a bit of news to share there as well: Delta is serving new offerings in its Flight Fuel menu for customers in the Main Cabin, including a new “Protein Box” and a pair of Luvo chicken wraps. Even more enticing? Delta’s domestic First Class and Delta Comfort+ snack baskets have been refreshed with new options, including Sun Chips, Erin Baker’s Pumpkin Spice Cookie and the legendary Oreo.
While the likes of Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines have offered premium cabin clients the ability to peruse menus and select delicacies prior to departure, Delta’s twist on the scheme is relatively new. Closer to home, American Airlines rolled out a food pre-ordering system this summer for economy passengers on select routes. And, just last week, it partnered with Zoës Kitchen to stock fresh sandwiches, wraps and snacks.
It’s also worth noting that with AA’s pre-order system, you can select meals up to 30 days before your flight, with the cut-off being 24 hours prior to departure. Delta has yet to publish what its selection cut-off time will be. United, meanwhile, doesn’t offer pre-select for any flight (excepting those to/from Japan, where you can pre-select the Japanese meal option) beyond the usual special meals for those with food allergies and intolerances.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.