Delta Expands Airbus A220 Route Network to Include Newark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta is taking delivery of new Airbus A220-100 jets as fast as it can, and it’s plugging the aircraft into a slew of new routes this summer. While its inaugural flight departed from New York’s LaGuardia Airport, the A220 will soon find its way to another New York-area gateway: Newark Liberty International Airport.
We reviewed the 109-passenger plane in both First Class and Comfort+ earlier this year and found it to be exceptional in both cabins. From the quiet ride to the top-shelf inflight entertainment system, it’s a significant upgrade from the regional birds that it replaces. Plus, the 2-2 seat layout up front and the 2-3 configuration for Comfort+ and Main Cabin mean fewer middle seats.
This week, the A220 began flying from Seattle, and Delta expects it on 74 daily flights at 10 airports this summer. The complete list of A220 flights, including new service to Detroit and Minneapolis-St. Paul from Newark, is below.
|Atlanta (ATL) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||March 2, 2020|
|Boston (BOS) to Detroit (DTW)||June 1, 2019|
|Boston (BOS) to New York (LGA)||February 7, 2019|
|Boston (BOS) to Minneapolis (MSP)||July 11, 2019|
|Denver (DEN) to Seattle (SEA)||October 1, 2019|
|Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to Detroit (DTW)||June 1, 2019|
|Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to New York (JFK)||July 26, 2019|
|Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to New York (LGA)||February 7, 2019|
|Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to Minneapolis (MSP)||June 28, 2019|
|Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||June 1, 2019|
|Detroit (DTW) to Newark (EWR)||June 1, 2019|
|Detroit (DTW) to New York (JFK)||July 26, 2019|
|Detroit (DTW) to New York (LGA)||June 1, 2019|
|Detroit (DTW) to Seattle (SEA)||June 12, 2019|
|Newark (EWR) to Minneapolis (MSP)||June 30, 2019|
|Fairbanks (FAI) to Seattle (SEA)||October 1, 2019|
|Houston (IAH) to New York (LGA)||June 1, 2019|
|Houston (IAH) to Minneapolis (MSP)||July 4, 2019|
|Houston (IAH) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||June 13, 2019|
|New York (JFK) to Boston (BOS)||October 5, 2019|
|New York (JFK) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||March 2, 2020|
|New York (LGA) to Minneapolis (MSP)||August 29, 2019|
|New York (LGA) to New Orleans (MSY)||August 31, 2019|
|New York (LGA) to Fort Myers (RSW)||August 31, 2019|
|Minneapolis (MSP) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||August 30, 2019|
|Seattle (SEA) to San Francisco (SFO)||August 13, 2019|
|Seattle (SEA) to San Jose (SJC)||June 13, 2019|
|Seattle (SEA) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||August 31, 2019|
|San Francisco (SFO) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||August 31, 2019|
|San Jose (SJC) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||June 1, 2019|
|Salt Lake City (SLC) to Orange County (SNA)||September 2, 2019|
Delta A220-100 Highlights
- 109 seats total, including seating for 12 in First Class, 15 in Delta Comfort+ and 82 in Main Cabin
- State-of-the-art interior featuring Gogo 2Ku Wi-Fi, personal power ports at each seat and complimentary premium entertainment on individual seatback screens
- The widest Main Cabin seats (18.6″) in Delta’s entire fleet
- First Class seats, arranged in a 2-2 configuration, feature a width of 20.5″
- High-capacity overhead bins, extra-large windows and full-spectrum LED ambient lighting
Customers flying in Delta Comfort+ on the A220 can expect a few other perks, like more legroom and dedicated overhead bin space, plus a much-preferred 2-3 seat configuration. Delta plans to add a total of 90 A220s to its aircraft fleet in the next four years.
Boosting Your SkyMiles Balance
If you’re looking to jump on one of the first A220 flights using SkyMiles, you’ll need to make sure you have a healthy balance to spend. There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles, from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 60,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first three months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus (you can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles) (Targeted offer subject to change at anytime). Terms apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
- Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express ($450 annual fee; ($550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020) See Rates & Fees); 40,000-mile welcome bonus plus 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months. Terms apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; ($550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020) (See Rates & Fees); 40,000-mile welcome bonus plus 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months. Terms apply.
Additional A220 Coverage
- I Toured Delta’s Brand New Airbus A220 — Here’s What to Expect
- Here’s What We Learned From Delta’s Product Developer for the A220
- When Coach Is Actually Comfy: A Review of Comfort+ on Delta’s Airbus A220, NYC to Dallas
- King of Regional Flying: A Review of Delta’s Airbus A220-100 in First Class From Dallas to New York
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of the author.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.