An evacuation slide from a Delta jet landed in a man’s front yard
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Massachusetts man standing outside of his home on Dec. 1 had something unexpected fall from the sky — but it wasn’t a leaf or even a stray tree branch.
An evacuation slide from a Delta Air Lines jet from Paris (CDG) to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) landed in a Milton, Massachusetts man’s front yard. The six-foot slide came from the wing of a Boeing 767-300, according to the Boston Herald. No injuries were reported.
The pilot of Delta Air Lines Flight 405 reported a loud noise as the plane approached Boston around noon on Sunday, according to the Boston Globe, citing a report from the Federal Aviation Administration. After the plane landed, it was discovered that the right rear slide was missing. Milton Police notified state police at Boston Airport and the FAA and Delta officials took the slide from the man’s yard, the Globe reported.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Wenhan Huang, the reported homeowner, told local station WCVB 5 that he was doing yard work when the slide landed on his yard. He said he called the FAA.
“It’s kind of crazy,” Huang told WCVB. “Who could know there’s something coming from the air and (it) drops into my yard, right?”
Milton Select Board Chair Michael Zullas told the Boston Herald that “a lot of people in Milton are angry. This is the second time in 10 years that something fell out of the sky over Milton.”
The body of a North Carolina teenager was found in Milton in 2010, according to reports at the time. The teen, who had most likely stowed away inside the plane’s wheel well and fallen as the plane approached landing, is believed to have gotten on the plane in Charlotte.
Boeing was warned by the FAA in 2015 about evacuation slides, after “multiple reports of uncommanded escape slide inflation.” The FAA, according to the Wall Street Journal, didn’t view the problem as an “imminent hazard.”
Featured photo by Benji Stawski/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees