Delta Employee, Wife Allegedly Caught Smuggling Cash Through ATL
An employee for Delta Air Lines and his wife have been charged for smuggling hundreds of thousands of dollars through security checkpoints at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL).
Bubacarr Drammeh and Matako Drammeh were charged Wednesday by the US Justice Department’s Atlanta office for smuggling bulk cash through security. Bubacarr faces an additional count of bribing security officers with money to let the cash through.
Atlanta’s US Attorney’s Office says that Bubacarr smuggled the cash through employee security checkpoints at ATL from November 2016 to September 2017, using his status as an airline employee to circumvent screeners. Once through the checkpoint, the US Attorney alleges he would fly the money to California, or pass it to his wife, who would then fly with it to California.
The couple allegedly took more than 50 of these trips to California.
“We work constantly with our law enforcement and airline partners to maintain a safe, secure environment at the world’s busiest and most efficient airport,” an airport spokesperson told NBC Atlanta. “Additionally, we will continue to assist the federal authorities as needed in this investigation.”
The scheme came to a halt on September 2, 2017, when, according to officials, Bubacarr attempted to bring a bag stuffed with more than $140,000 through the employee security checkpoint. He then tried to bribe a screener, who had discovered the trove of cash, with $8,000. That screener declined and contacted the authorities.
This is the latest incident in a long line of airport or airline employees trying to smuggle contraband through security. A similar incident occurred in January when a Jet Airways flight attendant was caught attempting to smuggle $500,000 on a flight to Hong Kong. Back in March, a Fly Jamaican crew member was arrested at JFK for trying to smuggle nine pounds of cocaine through the airport taped to his body. And just last week, two China Eastern flight attendants were charged for smuggling turtles out of LAX.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees