Delta announces more A350 service to Amsterdam
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is growing its Airbus A350 fleet, and while the carrier is mostly sending its new flagship to Asia, it’s also putting it on more European routes.
Beginning in 2020, Delta will fly A350s from Minneapolis and Atlanta to Amsterdam. Those services are currently operated by A330s and Boeing 777s. The equipment shuffling will mean all Delta flights from those two cities will be Airbus-operated, with the 777 that flies out of Atlanta moving to other routes. The change was first reported by Routes Online.
The A350 has become a crucial part of Delta’s fleet strategy, and the airline inked a deal with LATAM in September to buy some of its new partner’s aircraft.
For Delta frequent flyers, the A350 is a desirable award-redemption aircraft, thanks to its Delta One suites — the airline’s best seats — Delta Premium Select premium economy, and the latest coach-class seats in the fleet.
Booking Delta One through the carrier’s own SkyMiles program is often not a good option, as prices in miles can be astronomical especially during peak travel times. However, you can redeem as little as 50,000 Virgin Atlantic miles for nonstop flights from the US to Europe, and since you can transfer Amex, Chase and Citi points directly to Virgin’s Flying Club, this is a terrific way to use your transferable point currencies for incredible value.
As an example, at the time of writing, on Saturday April 11, 2020, you can book Delta One Suites on the new A350 from MSP to AMS for 80,000 SkyMiles. However, that exact same flight is available through Virgin Atlantic for just 50,000 miles. While award availability isn’t widespread, this is a fantastic way to get to Europe in one of the best business-class products out there.
Nick Ewen contributed reporting.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees